A patient is undergoing open heart surgery

• Thread starter wanted1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart
In summary: Here a minor revision."A sustained current of 25 microAmps can be fatal. If the heart has a resistance of 250 Ohms, determine the minimum voltage that can kill.V = 25 microAmps x 250 Ohms = 6250 microVolts = 6.25 milliVolts = 0.00625 Volts.
wanted1
1 - a patient is undergoing open heart surgery . A sustained current as small as 25 muA passing through the heart can be fatal . Assme that the heart has a constant resistonce of 250 ; detrmine the mininum voltage that poses a danger to the parient .

v= 25 X 250 = 6250

Physics news on Phys.org
wanted1 said:
1 - a patient is undergoing open heart surgery . A sustained current as small as 25 muA passing through the heart can be fatal . Assme that the heart has a constant resistonce of 250 ; detrmine the mininum voltage that poses a danger to the parient .

v= 25 X 250 = 6250

You need to use proper units in order for your question and answer to be unambiguous. What are the units for resistance? Ohms? What are muA? Does this mean microAmps, or milli-microAmps, or milli-uA (whatever a uA is)? What are the unit for your final answer? Volts, milliVolts or microVolts?

I'll assume that you asking the following ...

"A sustained current of 25 microAmps can be fatal. If the heart has a resistance of 250 Ohms, determine the minimum voltage that can kill.

V = 25 uA x 250 Ohms = 6250 uA = 6.25 milliVolts = 0.00624 Volts.

Hi

but I find the answer lile this ??

25 X 250 X(1/10^6) = 1 /160 V

why the answer not as your ?

wanted1 said:
Hi

but I find the answer lile this ??

25 X 250 X(1/10^6) = 1 /160 V

why the answer not as your ?

You do get the same answer because 1/160 V is equal to 0.00625 V. (I have a typo in my above post: 0.00624 V should be 0.00625 V)

I would still recommend a little better clarity on your expression. It's not clear if you are using 25 Amps and 250 microOhms, or 26 microAmps and 250 Ohms. Obviously, it's the latter, but the way you write it can confuse someone.

muV

I understand the importance of accurately determining the minimum voltage that poses a danger to a patient undergoing open heart surgery. Based on the given information, we can calculate the minimum voltage by multiplying the current (25 muA) by the resistance of the heart (250) which gives us a value of 6250 muV. This means that any voltage above this value has the potential to be fatal to the patient during the surgery. It is crucial for the medical team to carefully monitor and control the voltage during the procedure to ensure the safety of the patient. Additionally, this calculation highlights the sensitivity of the heart to even small changes in electrical current and emphasizes the need for caution and precision during open heart surgery.

What is open heart surgery?

Open heart surgery is a surgical procedure in which a patient's chest is opened to access the heart. It is performed to correct various heart conditions, such as coronary artery disease, heart valve problems, and heart defects.

What happens during open heart surgery?

During open heart surgery, the patient is placed under general anesthesia and a machine is used to temporarily take over the function of the heart and lungs. The surgeon then opens the chest and performs the necessary procedures on the heart while it is still beating.

What are the risks of open heart surgery?

Like any surgery, open heart surgery comes with risks. These can include bleeding, infection, blood clots, and complications related to anesthesia. However, with modern techniques and equipment, the risks of open heart surgery have greatly decreased.

How long does it take to recover from open heart surgery?

The recovery time for open heart surgery varies depending on the individual and the type of procedure performed. Some patients may be able to return to normal activities within a few weeks, while others may take several months to fully recover.

What can I expect after open heart surgery?

After open heart surgery, patients are closely monitored in the intensive care unit for a few days. They may experience some pain and discomfort, but medication can help manage this. Physical therapy and lifestyle changes may also be recommended to aid in the recovery process.