How Fast is the Distance Between Two Ships Changing at 4:00 P.M.?

In summary: D/dt … :)In summary, at 4:00 P.M., the distance between ship A and B is changing at a rate of 21.5 km/h as ship A is sailing east at 35 km/h and ship B is sailing north at 25 km/h. This can be solved using geometry and related rates or by using relative velocity. By considering ship A as stationary at (0,0) and using the distance formula, the rate of change of the distance between the ships can be found to be 21.5 km/h.
madah12

Homework Statement

At noon, ship A is 150 km west of ship B. Ship A is sailing east
at 35 km
h and ship B is sailing north at 25 km
h. How fast is
the distance between the ships changing at 4:00 P.M.?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did it using geometry and related rates and got 21.5 which was the answer
but I when I try to do it using relative velocity it doesn't work:
I am taking the first ship initial location as the origin
rai=0
rbi=150i
ra=0+35ti
rb=150i+25tj
ra/b=a/g +ag/b
ra/b=0+35ti - 150i+25tj
ra/b=(35t-150)i + 25tj
dr(a/b) /dt = 35i+25j
and the magnitude is the way more than 21.5
I feel like I am doing something really wrong or setup the problem wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi madah12! :smile:

suppose that a is stationary at (0,0), and b is at cosθti + sinθtj …

then using your method dr/dt = sinθti - cosθtj,

which is not the same as d|r|/dt, is it? :wink:

oh yes I see d|r|/dt = 0 right cause |r|= 1 for all t? but then does the relative motion law holds for distances if not then I can't solve this problem using relative motion?
Edit
but we can still say that |s|= dD/dt = d ((25t)^2 + (150-35t)^2)^1/2 /dt right?

Last edited:
madah12 said:
but we can still say that |s|= dD/dt = d ((25t)^2 + (150-35t)^2)^1/2 /dt right?

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

right! :smile:

I would suggest checking your calculations and equations again to make sure they are correct. It is possible that you made a mistake in your calculations or set up the problem incorrectly, which is why you are getting a different answer than expected. It is also important to double check the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. Additionally, you may want to try approaching the problem using different methods to see if you get the same answer. If you are still unable to find the correct solution, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a colleague or instructor.

What is relative motion of a ship?

Relative motion of a ship refers to the movement of a ship in relation to another object or point of reference, such as the shore or other ships in the surrounding area.

How is the relative motion of a ship calculated?

The relative motion of a ship is calculated by taking into account the ship's own speed and direction, as well as the speed and direction of the object or point of reference it is moving relative to. This can be calculated using mathematical equations or through the use of navigation instruments, such as radar.

Why is it important to consider relative motion when navigating a ship?

Considering relative motion is important in order to accurately determine the ship's position and course, as well as to avoid collisions with other ships or objects in the surrounding area. It also helps to account for the effects of wind, currents, and other external factors on the ship's movement.

How does relative motion affect the perceived speed and direction of a ship?

Relative motion can greatly affect the perceived speed and direction of a ship. For example, a ship may appear to be moving faster or slower depending on whether it is moving with or against the current. Additionally, the direction of the ship's movement may appear to change depending on the direction of the wind or currents.

Can relative motion be used to measure the speed and direction of other ships?

Yes, relative motion can be used to measure the speed and direction of other ships in the surrounding area. By comparing the relative motion of two ships, their speed and direction can be determined in relation to each other.