Help understanding electromagnetism (fields and radiation)?

In summary, electromagnetic fields are created by electric charges and magnetic fields are created by magnetic charges. Electromagnetic radiation is emitted when the fields change in space.
mitcho
I am struggling to understand the relationship between electromagnetism, electromagnetic fields and electromagnetic radiation. I understand that a moving electric charge creates a magnetic field and a moving magnetic field creates an electric charge and that this is the foundation of electromagnetism. Does this make an electromagnetic 'field' or are there only electric and magnetic fields separately? Also, how does electromagnetic radiation fit in with this, fields seem to exist around the source while radiation is propagated in a straight line from it. How do they relate to each other?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to back up a bit. Whenever you ask something like this (and this applies to everyone on this forum as well), you need to clearly describe what you already know, i.e. what your level of understanding is. This is because, when we see a question like this, the first thing that comes to our mind (or at least to MY mind) is, does this person already know about Maxwell Equations? Has he/she derived the EM wave equation using them?

We need to know in what "language" and at what level we can offer our answers. This is because we don't want to give you something beyond what you can understand, and we don't want to keep backtracking for each answer that we give (which can be annoying).

Zz.

Alright, that's a good point. I'm sorry, I should have gone into that detail. Really, I am a complete beginner, I know of maxwell's equations although I can't say I've encountered them in an class. Really my only understanding is of the law I stated above about induced electric and magnetic fields and that electric field lines radiate outwards from the source. I also have some understanding that there has to be second order motion of the electric charge for EMR to be induced.
Sorry if this makes it difficult to explain to me.
Thanks.

The electric and magnetic fields are two separate, distinct fields created by stationary and moving charges. One can set up only electric fields or only magnetic fields in static cases where these fields do not change in time. When time is considered, Maxwell's equations must be used and they show how the electric and magnetic fields are interdependent on each other.
An 'electromagnetic field' is a characterization of both fields simultaneously through those relationships.

Electromagnetic radiation comes into play when considering how the fields change with time and space. When a new or additional sources of electromagnetic fields is introduced, the fields do not change instantaneously throughout all space. Instead, the field first starts to change at the source and propagates away. Think of dropping a rock into a pond and watching the first wave crest and move away. This propagation carries with it some of the energy intrinsic to the fields and their sources. Electromagnetic radiation is this flow of energy as the fields change in space.

As for the second order of motion required for EMR, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Any single charge that is accelerated will emit some electromagnetic radiation.

Hope this helps.

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force in nature that is responsible for the interaction between electrically charged particles. It is described by two separate fields, the electric field and the magnetic field, which are intimately connected and cannot exist without each other. These fields exist around any charged particle or object, and their strength and direction can be affected by the movement of these particles.

When a charged particle is in motion, it creates a magnetic field around it. This magnetic field can then interact with other charged particles, causing them to move and creating an electric field. This electric field can then, in turn, affect the magnetic field, creating a continuous cycle of interaction between the two fields.

Electromagnetic radiation, on the other hand, is a form of energy that is propagated through space by these electric and magnetic fields. The fields oscillate in a perpendicular direction to each other, creating electromagnetic waves that travel in a straight line from the source. These waves can have different frequencies, resulting in different forms of radiation such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

The relationship between electromagnetic fields and radiation is one of cause and effect. The fields are the source of the radiation, and the radiation is the result of the fields propagating through space. However, it is important to note that not all electromagnetic fields result in radiation. Only when the fields are changing or accelerating do they produce electromagnetic radiation. This is known as the Maxwell-Faraday equation, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field, and a changing electric field will induce a magnetic field.

In summary, electromagnetism is a complex and fascinating phenomenon that is responsible for the behavior of charged particles and the propagation of electromagnetic radiation. The electric and magnetic fields are intimately related and cannot exist without each other, and electromagnetic radiation is the result of the interaction between these fields. I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of this important concept.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interactions between electrically charged particles. It encompasses the study of electric fields, magnetic fields, and electromagnetic radiation.

2. What is the difference between an electric field and a magnetic field?

An electric field is created by stationary electric charges, while a magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. Electric fields exert forces on other electric charges, while magnetic fields exert forces on moving electric charges.

3. How do electric and magnetic fields interact?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and can interact with each other. A changing magnetic field can create an electric field, and a changing electric field can create a magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.

4. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that is transmitted through space in the form of waves. It includes visible light, radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

5. How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism has a wide range of applications in everyday life. Some examples include electricity generation, communication systems (such as radios and cell phones), medical imaging (such as MRIs), and household appliances (such as electric motors and kitchen appliances).