Thin Film Evaporation - Anti-reflective coating

In summary: You could probably make a multi-layer coating with MgF2 and a suitable, high-index glass, but you'll have something with a narrow bandwidth. So, if you're going to engineer such a device, you should start your design based on the wavelength of the laser that you'll be using for the demonstration.You're correct.
bnay
Hello there,

Right now I'm in a physics lab in which I have a vacuum jar, a thin film evaporation apparatus, and the instructions to do something interesting. I'm looking at a bunch of ideas right now, but one project that appeals to me is a multi-layer anti-reflective coating. The way I'd like to do it is to create an index gradient between air (n~1) and glass (n~1.5) at index intervals of approximately 0.1. I've found several materials I can use for n=1.3 and 1.4, but when it comes to 1.1 and 1.2 I'm beginning to doubt there are any that I could readily acquire.

Anyways, my question is, are there any solid materials that I could evaporate onto a glass substrate with an index of refraction between 1 and 1.3? If not, is there another way to make a multi-layer anti-reflective coating (I have 8 lab periods and need to be able to write a fairly large report on this, so the single layer of Magnesium Fluoride I've made is a bit too simplistic for that), or should I just move on to high reflective coatings or wave plates?

Engineering news on Phys.org
bnay said:
I've found several materials I can use for n=1.3 and 1.4, but when it comes to 1.1 and 1.2 I'm beginning to doubt there are any that I could readily acquire.
Your doubt is not misplaced.

Anyways, my question is, are there any solid materials that I could evaporate onto a glass substrate with an index of refraction between 1 and 1.3?
There are some polymers near 1.3, but not anything I'm aware of that's lower.

If not, is there another way to make a multi-layer anti-reflective coating (I have 8 lab periods and need to be able to write a fairly large report on this, so the single layer of Magnesium Fluoride I've made is a bit too simplistic for that), or should I just move on to high reflective coatings or wave plates?
You could probably make a multi-layer coating with MgF2 and a suitable, high-index glass, but you'll have something with a narrow bandwidth. So, if you're going to engineer such a device, you should start your design based on the wavelength of the laser that you'll be using for the demonstration.

Incidentally, have you measured your MgF2 film to see what the thickness variation or roughness looks like?

http://www.aip.org/tip/INPHFA/vol-10/iss-5/p26.html

Aerogels appear to fit the bill, but I can't see any way to coat them onto a substrate as a very thin film...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is thin film evaporation?

Thin film evaporation is a process in which a liquid or solid material is heated and evaporated onto a surface to form a thin film. This film can have various properties, such as anti-reflective, anti-corrosive, or conductive, depending on the material used.

2. How does thin film evaporation create an anti-reflective coating?

The thin film evaporation process involves depositing a material with a specific index of refraction onto a surface. This creates a thin layer with a gradual change in refractive index, which helps to reduce the reflection of light on the surface, resulting in an anti-reflective coating.

3. What materials are commonly used for thin film evaporation?

Some of the commonly used materials for thin film evaporation include oxides, nitrides, and fluorides. Examples of these materials are silicon dioxide, titanium dioxide, and magnesium fluoride. These materials are chosen based on their refractive index and other properties needed for the desired coating.

4. What are the benefits of using thin film evaporation for anti-reflective coatings?

Thin film evaporation allows for precise control over the thickness and composition of the coating, resulting in a highly efficient anti-reflective layer. It also has a high durability and can withstand harsh environmental conditions, making it suitable for various applications.

5. What types of products use anti-reflective coatings created through thin film evaporation?

Anti-reflective coatings created through thin film evaporation are commonly used in eyewear, such as glasses and sunglasses, to reduce glare and improve visibility. They are also used in solar panels, optical lenses, and electronic displays to enhance performance and clarity.