Can Greek Letters be Added to the Reply Menu in Online Forums?

• Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
In summary: The only downside is that MathJax doesn't fully support TeX functions since it must translate in the end to an HTML environment. Still I'd say it supports the vast majority of what LaTeX does. MathJax supports most of LaTeX's functionality, but it does not support TeX functions.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I read on another thread that a member has the entire lower case greek alphabet in the sig line. Very logical.

How about putting that as a handy tool in the Reply dialog box like we have for Youtube, Spoiler, Sub and Sup, etc...? Other useful symbols would be nice as well but how about starting with the alphabet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good idea.

ß ∂ ∆ µ π ∏ ∑ Ω … √ ∫ ≤ ≥ ≠ ± #

hi chemisttree! :wink:
chemisttree said:
I read on another thread that a member has the entire lower case greek alphabet in the sig line. Very logical.

How about putting that as a handy tool in the Reply dialog box like we have for Youtube, Spoiler, Sub and Sup, etc...? Other useful symbols would be nice as well but how about starting with the alphabet?

i suggested that almost three years ago (i felt sorry for non-mac users :redface:), but it didn't get much support at the time …
tiny-tim said:
… could they be incorporated into the standard Reply page so that people can simply copy-and-paste them? :smile:
They wouldn't need buttons, they could just be ordinary type.[/INDENT]
tiny-tim said:
All I'm asking is that standard characters be printed somewhere on the reply page, ready to be copied by anyone who doesn't have a Mac … :smile:

EDIT: Hootenanny :smile: supported it in a later thread …
Hootenanny said:
… how difficult would it be to add a menu for inserting HTML entities into posts, similar to the LaTeX menu recently added? When typing a response, it isn't always necessary to use the presentation power of LaTeX for the odd Greek symbol or equation, however it's a bit of a pain to look up the decimal codes for various HTML entities. A quick drop down menu (maybe of just the Greek symbols) would make life much easier for writing short equations or for those no familiar with LaTeX, perhaps it would also reduce the unnecessary load on the server.

Just a thought.

i wonder whether there's any way of staring a facebook-style "group" on pf, to lobby for it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Hootenanny said:
A quick drop down menu (maybe of just the Greek symbols) would make life much easier for writing short equations or for those no familiar with LaTeX, perhaps it would also reduce the unnecessary load on the server.

Does using these greek letters and symbols add that much of a load on the server?

dlgoff said:
Does using these greek letters and symbols add that much of a load on the server?
I believe it's less of a burden than LaTeX.

I don't see why Greek letters/mathematical symbols would cause any burden. Given how LaTeX needs to be compiled and have images cached, though, I could see performance gains in minimizing the usage of LaTeX for displaying trivial equations. Most of the forums I visit with LaTeX support show a performance degradation, just to add some anecdotal evidence.

I think this is a good idea.

dlgoff said:
No, he (Hootenanny) meant that LaTeX adds a load. My understanding from what Greg has said is, both generation and storing of the LaTeX image files puts an extra load on the server.

Won't be necessary. We will look into switching to mathjax once 1.1 is out of beta.

Mathjax looks really interesting.

A few useful links:

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=347
ASCII symbols
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/mathchart.html

I'm a bit concerned by the fact that MathJax doesn't mention vBulletin anywhere on their web page, but maybe that's just because it works fine with all PHP-based applications.

Edit: Another thought...if the current LaTeX problems are caused by the service provider's web cache (which seems likely) how do we know it wouldn't be exactly the same with MathJax?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fredrik said:
maybe that's just because it works fine with all PHP-based applications.

That is correct.

Fredrik said:
Edit: Another thought...if the current LaTeX problems are caused by the service provider's web cache (which seems likely) how do we know it wouldn't be exactly the same with MathJax?

See for yourself if you think it behaves the same way
https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/preview.html

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
See for yourself if you think it behaves the same way
https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/preview.html

Is it server heavy?

Seemed a bit slow processing (may be my net connection).

jarednjames said:
Is it server heavy?

Seemed a bit slow processing (may be my net connection).

If you are using a new browser with a good javascript engine then it's a lot better than image generation, storage and retrieval.

Greg Bernhardt said:
If you are using a new browser with a good javascript engine then it's a lot better than image generation, storage and retrieval.

Oh don't get me wrong, it worked a lot better than latex.

jarednjames said:
Oh don't get me wrong, it worked a lot better than latex.

The only downside is that MathJax doesn't fully support TeX functions since it must translate in the end to an HTML environment. Still I'd say it supports the vast majority of what people need.

Doesn't seem to work for me. Error on page. I presume its my end.

Doesn't work for me either. There's a text that says "Type some TeX code and click off the textarea box". Below that there's a rectangular area that I can type in, and below it says "You typed: ${}$". Doesn't seem to matter what I type. Hm...I'll try it in IE too...I'll be back in a minute.

Edit: It didn't work in IE, but now that I've seen Greg's post below this one I understand why.

I typed in it, click outside and then at the bottom (on my browser) it said "transferring from Physics Forums" and then it popped up what I'd typed underneath the box.

You may want to wait a little bit for it to refresh after you've clicked outside.

404 now.

Borek said:
404 now.

Greg's updating it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
sorry I am updating it to 1.1b to test, i'll post again when it's ready

ok try now at https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html

Last edited:
When I put the tags around it, is it supposed to show them when it converts it?

Also, pressing enter just takes me down a line and doesn't refresh the view.

I put in something really simple: [tex] a = \frac{f}{m} [/tex] : [t e x] a = \frac{f}{m} [/t e x] and it converts it OK, but still shows the tex tags. (I added spaces to the tags so it wouldn't convert it.)

Works for me. Is there a capability for inline TeX?

jarednjames said:
When I put the tags around it, is it supposed to show them when it converts it?

Also, pressing enter just takes me down a line and doesn't refresh the view.

I put in something really simple: [tex] a = \frac{f}{m} [/tex] and it converts it OK, but still shows the tex tags.
Ditch the tags.

Gokul43201 said:
Ditch the tags.

Wow, feel like a right plonker now! Facepalm moment.

So in real application, it would recognise latex without the need for tags?

Gokul43201 said:
Works for me. Is there a capability for inline TeX?

The default is inline

So in real application, it would recognise latex without the need for tags?

never does need tags

Greg Bernhardt said:
never does need tags

Didn't know that. So when people put them in they don't need to?

jarednjames said:
Didn't know that. So when people put them in they don't need to?

in the mathjax app tags are never needed

Greg Bernhardt said:
in the mathjax app tags are never needed

Ah right, with ya!

I'm getting firefox script errors. It's probably my lack of understanding how to use it.

dlgoff said:
I'm getting firefox script errors. It's probably my lack of understanding how to use it.

In 3.6.13 I get two trivial css errors

Works fine for me now. It looks good. I would prefer a slightly bigger size for the stuff we'd normally use tex tags for, but I assume that sort of thing can be tweaked later.

Will we still be using tex and itex tags as before?

I can't tell if this will solve the problems we have right now.

Fredrik said:
Works fine for me now. It looks good. I would prefer a slightly bigger size for the stuff we'd normally use tex tags for, but I assume that sort of thing can be tweaked later.
indeed

Fredrik said:
Will we still be using tex and itex tags as before?
nope

Fredrik said:
I can't tell if this will solve the problems we have right now.

The equations are generated on the fly. There is no storage or caching.

Sounds good. Oooh...I just discovered the http://www.mathjax.org/resources/articles-and-presentations/accessible-pages-with-mathjax/ . Pretty sweet.