Magnetic field and Skin Effect

In summary, the magnetic field strength at the center of a conductor is maximum due to the principle of superposition, and an increase in frequency results in an increased impedance to the movement of charge carriers, known as skin effect.
rapids79
I have been trying to understand the field theory from the basics and have come across a few things I have not understood a few things clearly:

1. The magnetic field strength is maximum at the center of the conductor and decreases with an increase in the distance from the center. I understand this mathematically, i.e. the field strength is inversely proportional to the distance as per the mathematical relation, but I don't understand the physics behind it.

2. In the book "RF Circuit Design" by Chris Bowick, he says that "As the frequency is increased, an increased magnetic field at the center of a conductor presents increased impedance to the charge carriers, thus decreasing the current density at the center of the conductor and increasing the current density around it perimeter." My question is, why would an increased magnetic field strength provide impedance to the movement of charge carriers as it does at the center of the conductor.

I'd be grateful if someone could throw some light on this. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can provide some clarification on these concepts for you.

1. The reason why the magnetic field strength is maximum at the center of a conductor is due to the principle of superposition. This principle states that the total magnetic field at any point is equal to the vector sum of the individual magnetic fields produced by each current element in the conductor. At the center of the conductor, the magnetic fields produced by each current element are in the same direction and add up, resulting in a stronger magnetic field. As you move away from the center, the magnetic fields produced by the current elements start to cancel out, resulting in a decrease in overall magnetic field strength.

2. In the case of an increasing frequency, the magnetic field strength at the center of the conductor increases. This increase in magnetic field strength creates a greater opposition to the movement of charge carriers, known as impedance. This is because the charge carriers experience a greater force from the magnetic field, making it more difficult for them to move through the conductor. As a result, the current density at the center of the conductor decreases, while the current density around the perimeter increases. This is known as skin effect and is a common phenomenon in high frequency circuits.

I hope this helps to clarify the physics behind these concepts. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the curiosity and keep learning!

1. What is a magnetic field and how does it affect objects?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon that exists around a magnet or electric current, and it exerts a force on other magnetic objects within its vicinity. This force can cause the objects to move, align, or experience changes in their properties.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by either a permanent magnet or an electric current. In the case of an electric current, the moving charges generate a magnetic field around the conductor.

3. What is skin effect and how does it affect conductors?

Skin effect is a phenomenon in which high-frequency alternating current tends to flow closer to the surface of a conductor, rather than through its entire cross-section. This results in an increased resistance and heating of the conductor, which can affect its performance and efficiency.

4. What factors can affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be affected by the distance from the source, the size and shape of the magnet or current-carrying conductor, and the type and strength of the magnetic material used.

5. How is the skin effect utilized in practical applications?

The skin effect is utilized in various applications such as in high-frequency circuits, where it is desirable to minimize the resistance and power loss in the conductors. It is also used in electromagnetic induction heating, where the heating is concentrated on the surface of a conductor due to the skin effect.