When will mankind have these technologies?

• Thread starter Oerg
  • Start date
In summary: Strong_AI" (as outlined in the first bullet list in the page)50 to 100 years. Again, it'll require a major breakthrough in AI to accomplish.
Oerg
So when do you think our civilization will have the following technologies or never? Feel free to add to the list (by continuing the numbering for reference)

1. Elimination/Reversal of aging in humans
2. Quantum Computing (successful enough for wide commercial use)
3. Reasonably fast form of intra-galactic travel
4. Reasonably fast form of inter-galactic travel
5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_AI" (as outlined in the first bullet list in the page)
6. Nuclear fusion (again successful enough for wide commercial use)

My guesstimates 1. about a century 2. 30 years 3. a few centuries 4. several centuries 5. a few centuries 6. 50 years

I think 3 and 4 would require a major breakthrough in physics to accomplish though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd tend towards:

1.) Never
2.) 50+ years
3.) Not sure what reasonably fast is, but sub-c is it, so nothing is UNreasonable.
4.) NEEEEVER
5.) Your guess works for me, but it could be sooner, in fact I'd guess much sooner.
6.) 75-100 years if it's ever truly adopted.

1) The first question is hard to answer, reverse ageing? Technically never. Eliminating it as a problem? I'd say within a few centuries. I work in Regenerative Medicine and in that field its generally thought that over the next few decades a toolkit of medicines will be developed that will allow tissues and organs to be regenerated fully. If this field progresses well then eventually ageing will be mitigated by regenerating tissues one at a time to full health.

2) Within this century? There don't seem to be any show stoppers and the technology is coming along quite well

3) I'd say reasonably fast as .5C and above and I'd be inclined to say millennia-never. The energy involved in sending a colony across interstellar space at such speeds could easily annihilate the surface of this world. I am sure the human race will find destructive uses for such technology first.

4) Never. If only because a trip of a few million years would result in the people arriving being a different species to the one that left

5) Not for many generations, we're probably going to get highly adaptive and capable programs over the next century but I don't see us making strong AI until we've reverse-engineered the brain and came up with a viable way of reproducing it.

6) I'd wager that the capability to produce a viable (in both energy and economics) nuclear fusion station will arrive close to 2050. Actually using it though and it becoming widespread? not for decades after

Oerg said:
So when do you think our civilization will have the following technologies or never? Feel free to add to the list (by continuing the numbering for reference)

5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_AI" (as outlined in the first bullet list in the page)

My guesstimates 1. about a century 2. 30 years 3. a few centuries 4. several centuries 5. a few centuries 6. 50 years

I think 3 and 4 would require a major breakthrough in physics to accomplish though.

1. Never by definition... You will always age, but perhaps you could reduce the affects of age.
2. Quantum Computing - 20 years
3. 50 - 100 years
4. Reasonable is pretty relative, but I'm going to say never.
5. Never, but never say never...Never
6. 20-30 years.

Oerg said:

The day after I die.

Evo said:
The day after I die.

Heh, best answer yet.

Pattonias said:
1. Never by definition... You will always age

It's not about chronological age; it's about biological age. Think regenerating limbs, regrowth of hair, rejuvenation of skin and connective tissue, regenerating neurons, increasing telomere length, reversal of arthritis, etc.

We're not just talking about reducing the effects of age, we're talking about actually reversing the effects of age.

4) Never. If only because a trip of a few million years would result in the people arriving being a different species to the one that left
Only presuming we are stuck with relativity. Wormhole technology would eliminate the problem.

DaveC426913 said:
It's not about chronological age; it's about biological age. Think regenerating limbs, regrowth of hair, rejuvenation of skin and connective tissue, regenerating neurons, increasing telomere length, reversal of arthritis, etc.

We're not just talking about reducing the effects of age, we're talking about actually reversing the effects of age.

Only presuming we are stuck with relativity. Wormhole technology would eliminate the problem.

That would still be one hell of a one way trip into your relative past.

Oerg said:

200 years to 5000 years. Depending on whos reference frame you're looking at :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:
200 years to 5000 years. Depending on whos reference frame you're looking at :biggrin:

True, about the same time we develop faster than light travel we will look into time travel. Once we look into time travel we will travel back in time and give humanity faster than light travel earlier to speed things up for us in the future. (Screw Paradoxes)

Our civilisation would probably need to master some other issues first, like overcoming herd instinct and related terors, hostilities, witchhunt tendency, etc.

Oerg said:
3. Reasonably fast form of intra-galactic travel.
I hope they get to this one soon cause I got to go real bad.

Andre said:
Our civilisation would probably need to master some other issues first, like overcoming herd instinct and related terors, hostilities, witchhunt tendency, etc.

Why? They got us this far! :tongue:

Evo said:
The day after I die.

You will still age. :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:

Yeah, but many people do that already. It's called "second childhood" :rolleyes:

Apart from that, there would be the problem of what to actually do with an extended life. Douglas Adams fans may remember Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged...

Ivan Seeking said:
Why? They got us this far! :tongue:

Beat me to it!

AlephZero said:
Yeah, but many people do that already. It's called "second childhood" :rolleyes:
They regrow body parts?

AlephZero said:
Apart from that, there would be the problem of what to actually do with an extended life.

I wonder if ancient proto-man ever sat around on his 25th birthay in the waning years of his life and worried about what his descendants would do if they lived to the eternal age of 40 or even 45. How would they fill the time?

Oerg said:

I have a few more:
7. Antimatter creation and use as an energy source (succesful enough for wide commercial use)
8. Carbon nanotube technology to create a spacelift
9. Stem-cell technology to cure any disease

DaveC426913 said:
I wonder if ancient proto-man ever sat around on his 25th birthay in the waning years of his life and worried about what his descendants would do if they lived to the eternal age of 40 or even 45. How would they fill the time?

With an extra 100 years of life, I could go get a 2nd PhD!

Oerg said:

I am pretty satisfied with our current technology. Other than #2 and # 6, I don't see others practical enough or achievable in near future.

One of things I am really interested in is:
7. Learning how to live.
We will likely never learn that.
:biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:

Actually, proto-man was not in the waning years of his life at 25.
As far as we can tell the life span (as opposed to life expectancy) has not increased all that significantly over the millennia.
However, death at birth and death by starvation have been almost abolished (they tend to have a negative effect on life expectancy ;)).

IMO, 2 and 6 are less interesting than the others. They're simply 'features not benefits'. Sort of better ways of what we do now.

It would be interesting to alter the list to concentrate more on advances in the quality of human life.

7. Establish a viable extra-terrestrial human colony.
8. Provide power, clean water and food to the planet's population.

I like Serena said:
I have a few more:
7. Antimatter creation and use as an energy source (succesful enough for wide commercial use)
8. Carbon nanotube technology to create a spacelift
9. Stem-cell technology to cure any disease

7. God knows! But it wouldn't be a viable energy source per se because it takes more energy to make a gram of antimatter than you would get for releasing that. It would be a great battery/rocket fuel though.
8. We've had good techniques to make CNTs for a while, the problem is we can only make short ones and don't have the ability to make continuous CNTs to any length. No real idea when we'll crack that problem, decades perhaps? In all honesty it could be tomorrow or it could be 2111
9. Never. Because this question makes no sense, I think you should buy a book on stem cells if you'd like to learn about them. They aren't some elixir of life, the attractiveness of stem cells in medicine is that they are plastic and can differentiate into other cell types which makes for attractive treatments for a variety of diseases but in no way will they cure "any disease". The problem with using stem cells is we lack the ability to control their differentiation. I'd say over the next 100 years the technology will come in dribs and drabs until it's a mature field.

DaveC426913 said:
8. Provide power, clean water and food to the planet's population.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one DaveC. And perhaps I would add to it 'access to decent health care for the planet's population'

But surely, for this website, the big one has to be:

10. Arrive at a unified theory of everything. The day the physicists can all go home and take up gardening.

Ken Natton said:
Yeah, I'm with you on that one DaveC. And perhaps I would add to it 'access to decent health care for the planet's population'

But surely, for this website, the big one has to be:

10. Arrive at a unified theory of everything. The day the physicists can all go home and take up gardening.

Gardening, or mass suicide! I for one, want alwasy to be learning, never "done".

nismaratwork said:
Gardening, or mass suicide! I for one, want alwasy to be learning, never "done".

I don't think these physicists will be done.
We will mostly get a shift from fundamental research to applied physics.
But I suspect that this unification theory will be complex enough that we will need all the theoretical physicists simply to apply the theory :cool:

I like Serena said:
But I suspect that this unification theory will be complex enough that we will need all the theoretical physicists simply to apply the theory :cool:

Ahhh, now that's more like it! :biggrin:

I like Serena said:

I was just about to say that. If we found a useful application of the unified theory of everything we would probably start knocking things off this list faster.

Pattonias said:
If we found a useful application of the unified theory of everything we would probably start knocking things off this list faster.

Ah but you see I would say that is engineering not physics, so I still say that you guys could go home and leave it to us lesser mortals. We're ten-a-penny. Of course, this unified theory of everything has proved elusive so far. The garden might have to just do for a while yet...

Ken Natton said:
Ah but you see I would say that is engineering not physics, so I still say that you guys could go home and leave it to us lesser mortals. We're ten-a-penny. Of course, this unified theory of everything has proved elusive so far. The garden might have to just do for a while yet...

We'll discover that the unified theory of everything will only prove applicable to gardening. Wouldn't that be a interesting turn.

ryan_m_b said:
The problem with using stem cells is we lack the ability to control their differentiation. I'd say over the next 100 years the technology will come in dribs and drabs until it's a mature field.
Really? You think it will take a century of medicine to get that under control?You know how long a century is in medicine? A century ago, we were still coming to terms with the germ theory of disease. You see stem cell research as being that far ahead of where we are now?

"Useful" quantum computers`Perhaps 20-30 years. "Wide commercial use", probably never. QC are simply not useful enough. They excel at a few very specific problems, but unless you are into code-breaking or interested in a few optimization problems a normal computer will be better and faster. So unless someone comes up with an QC algorithm for efficiently doing something very useful (such as solving non-sparse massive systems of equations) it will always be a fringe technology.

f95toli said:
"Useful" quantum computers`Perhaps 20-30 years. "Wide commercial use", probably never. QC are simply not useful enough. They excel at a few very specific problems, but unless you are into code-breaking or interested in a few optimization problems a normal computer will be better and faster. So unless someone comes up with an QC algorithm for efficiently doing something very useful (such as solving non-sparse massive systems of equations) it will always be a fringe technology.

Current computing already has "problems" because of the quantum effects that occur in the microscopic chips. That is, we can't make computer chips much smaller than they already are without compensating.

So I expect future computers to incorporate quantum technology, although they do not necessarily work with qubits.

Modern ICs already use "quantum technologies", Intel&co spend a lot of time and money on trying to use or circumvent various quantum phenomena; a trivial example is tunnelling current which are responsible for a lot of the leakage currents.
However, this has nothing to do with quantum computing, which is conceptually very different from an classical computer (a'la Turing).

The truth is that we are in serious trouble when it comes to raw "computing power"; there are several important algorithms that scale very badly when you increase the number of CPUs (meaning adding more cores etc does not help) and for these Moore's law stopped being "valid" many years ago. Quantum computing is not a solution to this problem.

DaveC426913 said:
Really? You think it will take a century of medicine to get that under control?You know how long a century is in medicine? A century ago, we were still coming to terms with the germ theory of disease. You see stem cell research as being that far ahead of where we are now?

Comparison of the past is not indicative of how well we will tackle the problems of the future. By a century I meant that it seems to me that over the next several decades we will get better and better with more medicines/products being developed. I stuck the century on there because I'd expect by 100 years time the field will be highly mature (as antibiotics are now).

By 100 years I'd expect stem cells to be a mostly application based science with research focusing around what novel things we can do with our well established techniques. Getting there will be a slow incremental process though.