Crucial step Quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about quantum mechanics and the question of how to get from step (19) to (20) in a PDF file related to calculating van der Waals forces. The person asking the question is seeking an explanation and someone else suggests using algebra to understand the relation.
Gavroy
hi

i am just doing some quantum mechanics. unfortunately, i have spent the last 2 hours on one single step, which i do not understand at all.

i don't get it, how you get from (19) to (20) in the attached file?

could somebody explain this to me?

Attachments

• Datei.pdf
    585.9 KB · Views: 261
Physics news on Phys.org
It might help people in deciding whether to download the PDF, to know that your question is about a fairly advanced topic: calculating the van der Waals forces between two hydrogen atoms in the ground state.

(Unfortunately I can't help.)

Isn't it just straightforward? If there's something subtle, I'm missing it too.

Σi |<Bi|Q|A>|2 = Σi <A|Q| Bi><Bi|Q|A>

Completeness says Σi |Bi><Bi| = I

so the result is <A|Q2|A>

oh ya...thanks

sorry, I overlooked something:
Bill_K said:
Σi |<Bi|Q|A>|2 = Σi <A|Q| Bi><Bi|Q|A>
could you explain this relation to me?

Last edited:
Well, you know that in algebra [itex] z z^{*} = |z|^2 [/itex], right ? Now pick [itex] z= \langle A|Q|B_i\rangle [/itex].

:wink: okay...i got it...thanks

1. What is the crucial step in quantum mechanics?

The crucial step in quantum mechanics is the measurement process. This is where the state of a quantum system is determined by an observer, and it leads to the collapse of the system into a classical state.

2. How does the measurement process work in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the measurement process involves an interaction between the quantum system and the measuring apparatus. The result of the measurement is determined by the observable properties of the system and the measurement apparatus.

3. Why is the measurement process considered crucial in quantum mechanics?

The measurement process is crucial in quantum mechanics because it is the only way to gain information about the state of a quantum system. It also leads to the collapse of the system into a classical state, which is necessary for making meaningful measurements.

4. Can the measurement process be controlled in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the measurement process can be controlled in quantum mechanics through various techniques such as quantum state engineering and quantum error correction. These methods allow for more precise and accurate measurements of quantum systems.

5. How does the measurement process impact our understanding of the universe?

The measurement process in quantum mechanics has challenged our traditional understanding of the universe and has led to the development of new theories and technologies. It has also raised philosophical questions about the nature of reality and our role as observers in shaping it.