Fourier Transform to solve heat equation in infinite domain

In summary, the heat equation is given by taking the Fourier transform of the equation with respect to x, where the Fourier transform of u(x,t) is denoted by U(alpha,t). The next step is to integrate with respect to t, which results in U=c(alpha)e^(-k^2*alpha^2*t). The c(alpha) term is added to make the solution more general, as it is a function of alpha only and its derivative with respect to t is 0. This concept of adding an arbitrary function of the non-integrating variables is often used when solving basic PDEs.
SUDOnym
I'm having trouble following a step in my notes:

first off the heat equation is given by:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=k^{2}\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}}[/tex]

then take the Fourier transform of this w.r.t.x, where in this notation the Ftransform of u(x,t) is denoted by U(alpha,t):

[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=-\alpha^{2}k^{2}U[/tex]

***it is this step I don't quite follow**** integrate with respect to t:

[tex]U=c(\alpha)e^{-k^{2}\alpha^{2}t}[/tex]

Can someone please explain this step ie. how do you know what limits to integrate between and how do you know that the rights side of the equation ends up in the form?:

[tex]c(\alpha)e^{-k^{2}\alpha^{2}t}[/tex]

obviously an intermediate step is:

[tex]\partial U=-k^{2}\alpha^{2}Udt[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\partial U=-k^{2}\alpha^{2}Udt[/tex]

Here, the terms concerning U need to be brought on to the left hand side, and then both sides integrated. You will end up with x as a function of ln(y), then exponentiating both sides will give you the form you have

thanks.

and the c(alpha) term multiplying it...that's got nothing to do with the integration itself, right? it's added in there to make the solution more general...?

Well alpha is presumably the variable you use for the Fourier transform of your function, so it is to say, since when solving the resulting ODE you integrated the RHS with respect to t, it is entirely possible that the standard integration constant is instead a function of alpha. (Since d/dt (alpha) = 0)

and how do you know d/dt(alpha)=0?

C(alpha) is a function of alpha only, so it's derivative with respect to t = 0

So instead of adding a constant, you add an arbitrary function of the non integrating variables.

thanks. I have not seen that before, does that "function of integration" have a name that I could look up in a calculus book?

It should be mentioned when you solved basic PDEs.

For example if U is a function of (t,x)

Ut = f(t,x)

You would integrate wrt t, and add an arbitrary function of x.

When I was taught this, he simply called them arbitrary functions. I'm not sure if they have a special name.

1. What is a Fourier Transform and how does it relate to solving the heat equation in infinite domain?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. In the context of solving the heat equation in infinite domain, it allows us to express the temperature distribution in terms of sinusoidal functions, which simplifies the equation and makes it easier to solve.

2. Why is the heat equation in infinite domain difficult to solve without using a Fourier Transform?

The heat equation in infinite domain involves a partial derivative with respect to both time and space, making it a partial differential equation. These types of equations are notoriously difficult to solve analytically, which is why the use of mathematical tools like the Fourier Transform can greatly simplify the process.

3. Can the Fourier Transform be applied to any type of boundary conditions in the heat equation?

Yes, the Fourier Transform is a general technique that can be applied to any type of boundary conditions in the heat equation. It is a powerful tool that allows for the solution of the heat equation in a wide range of scenarios, including infinite domain.

4. What are the limitations of using the Fourier Transform to solve the heat equation in infinite domain?

One limitation is that the Fourier Transform assumes that the temperature distribution is periodic and extends infinitely in both directions. This may not always be the case in real-world scenarios, so the results obtained may not accurately represent the true behavior of the system.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving the heat equation in infinite domain?

Yes, there are several numerical methods that can be used to solve the heat equation in infinite domain, such as finite difference methods and finite element methods. These methods involve discretizing the domain and approximating the solution at discrete points, making them more suitable for complex boundary conditions or non-periodic systems.