Exponents and Logarithms, equation

In summary, the equation has two solutions: x = -1/2ln(9) and x = ln(1/3). The given options of a = -1/2 and b = 9 also work for one of the solutions, while a = -1 and b = 3 works for the other solution. The reason why there are multiple options is because the equation can be factored and the solutions can be expressed in different forms.
sallyj92
Hey guys I need help how to solve this equation... Express your answer to the equation in the form alnb

9e^4x-e^2x=0

This is as far as I got
9e^4x=e^2x
ln(9e^4x)=ln(e^2x)

the answer given in the markscheme is x=1/2ln1/9, x=-1/2ln9, x=ln1/3, a=-1/2 and b=9, x=-ln3 (accept a=-1 and b=3)

I don't understand why there are so many options? and which ones are right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend letting u=e^x, and then you can express the equation as a quartic. That's why you have so many solutions.

sallyj92 said:
Hey guys I need help how to solve this equation... Express your answer to the equation in the form alnb

9e^4x-e^2x=0

This is as far as I got
9e^4x=e^2x
ln(9e^4x)=ln(e^2x)

the answer given in the markscheme is x=1/2ln1/9, x=-1/2ln9, x=ln1/3, a=-1/2 and b=9, x=-ln3 (accept a=-1 and b=3)

I don't understand why there are so many options? and which ones are right?

Where do a and b come from? They aren't in the original problem.

There are only two solutions. Some of the solutions you give are not distinct. For example, x = 1/2 ln(1/9) is the same as (equal to) ln((1/9)1/2) = ln(1/3). This is also the same as -ln(3).

The equation can be factored.
9e^(4x) - e^(2x) = 0
<==> e^(2x)(9e^(2x) - 1) = 0

Since e^(2x) is always > 0, the solutions come from 9e^(2x) - 1 = 0, and this in turn can be factored to give the two solutions of the original equation.

1. What is an exponent?

An exponent is a mathematical notation that indicates the number of times a base number is to be multiplied by itself. It is written as a superscript to the right of the base number.

2. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of an exponent. It is used to determine the exponent needed to produce a given number. It is written as log(base)number = exponent.

3. How do you solve equations with exponents?

To solve an equation with exponents, start by simplifying the exponents on each side of the equation. Then, isolate the variable by using inverse operations. Finally, substitute the value of the variable back into the equation to check the answer.

4. How do logarithms help solve equations?

Logarithms can be used to solve equations with variables in the exponent. By taking the logarithm of both sides, the variable can be brought down from the exponent and solved using algebraic techniques.

5. What is the relationship between exponents and logarithms?

The relationship between exponents and logarithms is that they are inverse operations of each other. This means that raising a base number to an exponent is the same as taking the logarithm of that number with the same base.