Dirichlet eta approximate functional equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a similar result to the Hardy-Littlewood approximate functional equation for the Dirichlet eta function. The person is interested in expressing the Dirichlet eta function in terms of its partial sums, and is looking for an approximate functional equation that follows a similar form to the one for the Riemann zeta function. They are also seeking a reference for Hardy's method for obtaining the approximate functional equation for the zeta function.
Simpel
Concerning Hardy-Littlewood approximate functional equation for the [tex] \zeta [/tex] function
[tex] \zeta(s) = \sum_{n\leq x}\frac{1}{n^s} \ + \ \chi(s) \ \sum_{n\leq y}\frac{1}{n^{1-s}} \ + \ O(x^{-\sigma}+ \ |t|^{\frac{1}{2}-\sigma}y^{\sigma - 1}) [/tex]
does somebody know of any similar result for the Dirichlet [tex] \eta [/tex] function ? where [tex] \eta (s) [/tex] is defined as
[tex] \eta(s) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^s} = 1-\frac{1}{2^s}+\frac{1}{3^s}-\frac{1}{4^s}+-\ldots [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Is something like this what you were looking for?
[tex] \eta(s) = (1- 2^{1-s}) \left( \sum_{n\leq x}\frac{1}{n^s} \ + \ \chi(s) \ \sum_{n\leq y}\frac{1}{n^{1-s}} \ + \ O(x^{-\sigma}+ \ |t|^{\frac{1}{2}-\sigma}y^{\sigma - 1}) \right) [/tex]

that would be too easy,
but that was my fault, as I should have better described what I meant by "similar".
I am interested in expressing the Dirichlet eta function in terms of its partial sums, as well as of the partials sums of its critical line symmetrical one. So, I am looking for something like this (the ? is for a unknown-to-me function, and I am not even sure that such an approximate functional equation might exist ...) :
[tex] \eta(s) = \sum_{n\leq x}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^s} \ + \ ?(s) \ \sum_{n\leq y}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^{1-s}} \ + \ O( ...) [/tex]
I would also be happy to try out directly on the Dirichlet Eta (if it makes any sense at all) the method followed by Hardy to get the approximate functional equation for the Zeta function, but I have googled around without finding any detailed description of such method, would anybody know a useful reference ?

1. What is the Dirichlet eta approximate functional equation?

The Dirichlet eta approximate functional equation is a mathematical identity that relates the Dirichlet eta function to the Riemann zeta function. It is used to extend the range of applicability of the Riemann zeta function and to provide a better approximation for certain values.

2. Who discovered the Dirichlet eta approximate functional equation?

The Dirichlet eta approximate functional equation was discovered by the German mathematician Peter Gustav Lejeune Dirichlet in the 19th century.

3. What is the significance of the Dirichlet eta approximate functional equation?

The Dirichlet eta approximate functional equation is significant in the study of the Riemann zeta function and the distribution of prime numbers. It has also been used in other areas of mathematics, such as in the study of modular forms and in quantum field theory.

4. How is the Dirichlet eta approximate functional equation derived?

The Dirichlet eta approximate functional equation is derived using complex analysis and the Cauchy integral formula. It involves manipulating the integral representation of the Riemann zeta function and applying the properties of the Dirichlet eta function.

5. What are some applications of the Dirichlet eta approximate functional equation?

The Dirichlet eta approximate functional equation has applications in number theory, complex analysis, and theoretical physics. It has been used to prove various conjectures in number theory, to study the zeros of the Riemann zeta function, and to develop new methods for evaluating mathematical series. It also has applications in quantum field theory, where it is used to study the behavior of particles in a vacuum.