Gravimetric analysis of phosphorous

• Thread starter Julia78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, this experiment precipitated 2.30 g of MgNH4PO4 6H20. The gravimetric analysis is based on the precipitation of phosphorous as MgNH4PO4 . 6H2O from a solution that contains the monohydrogen phosphate ion (HPO42- ), ammonium ions, and magnesium ions. The balanced reaction is: 5 H2O + HPO42- + NH41+ + Mg2+ + OH1- =====> MgNH4PO4 . 6H2O.
Julia78
I just finished an experiment where I precipitated 2.30 g of MgNH4PO4 6H20.

The gravimetric analysis of phosphorous in this experiment is based on the
precipitation of phosphorous as MgNH4PO4 . 6H2O from a solution that contains the
monohydrogen phosphate ion (HPO42- ), ammonium ions, and magnesium ions. The
balanced reaction is:
5 H2O + HPO42- + NH41+ + Mg2+ + OH1- =====> MgNH4PO4 . 6H2O I need to calculate percent yield of MgNH4PO4 . 6H2O obtained in my experiment using 10-52-10 plant food label as a guide to determine the theoretical yield of MgNH4PO4 . 6H2O.

So, the plant food contains:
10% N
52% P2O5
10% MgO

In my experiment I used 1.2 grams of 10-52-10 plant food ( + 4 grams MgSO4 7H2O) and obtained 2.30 g of MgNH4PO4 6H20
I know that % yield = actual yield/ theoretical yield x 100%
But, how do I calculate actual yield from the data I have?

So far I calculated:
air dry weight of MgNH4PO4 . 6H2O = 2.30 g
Grams of phosphorusin MgNH4PO4 6H20 = 0.290g
%P in plant food = 24.16
% P2O5 in equivalent to %P above = 55.45
% p2O5 in 10-52-10 plant food = 52

When do I do next?? Any help is greatly appreciated?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Something is strange here - gravimetric analysis is not to calculate percent yield - it is based on the assumption that percent yield is exactly 100%, and it is done to check what is the amount of analyte in the sample.

But if you really need it... How many moles of P in the sample? How many moles of phosphate should be precipitated if all phosphorus was converted to phosphoric acid? What should be the mass of the precipitate?

--

So, the amount of phosphorus:
0.290 g P = 0.00936 moles P
Amount of phosphate --> from the reaction above...
(2.30 g MgNH4PO4 . 6H2O)(1 mol/ 245.45 g) (1 mol PO4 2-/ 1 mol MgNH4PO4 . 6H2O) = 0.00957 moles

I still do not understand how to obtain theoretical weight of precipitate?

No matter how I calculate the mass of precipitate I obtain 2.30 g, which is the actual yield I obtained in my experiment...

Last edited:
You should calculate amount of phosphorus in the sample from its mass and the fact it contains 52% by mass P2O5, if you calculate it from the amount of the precipitated salt and use it to calculate yield, you will just prove that 1=1.

If you have one atom of phosphorus, how many molecules of MgNH4PO4 can you make? From dozen atoms? From a mole?

THANK YOU! I finnally got it!

1. What is gravimetric analysis of phosphorous?

Gravimetric analysis of phosphorous is a quantitative method used to determine the amount of phosphorous present in a sample. It involves separating and isolating the phosphorous from the sample and then measuring its mass to calculate the concentration.

2. How is gravimetric analysis of phosphorous performed?

The sample is first digested with an acid to convert all forms of phosphorous into a soluble form. This solution is then treated with an ammonium molybdate reagent to form a yellow precipitate. The precipitate is then filtered, washed, dried, and weighed to determine the amount of phosphorous present.

3. What are the advantages of gravimetric analysis of phosphorous?

Gravimetric analysis of phosphorous is a highly accurate and precise method, with a low margin of error. It is also relatively simple and inexpensive compared to other methods. Additionally, it can be used to detect low levels of phosphorous, making it useful for environmental and agricultural applications.

4. What are the limitations of gravimetric analysis of phosphorous?

One limitation of gravimetric analysis is that it is a time-consuming process, as the sample must be digested, precipitated, and dried. It also requires careful technique and precise measurements to obtain accurate results. Additionally, interference from other substances in the sample can affect the accuracy of the analysis.

5. How is gravimetric analysis of phosphorous used in real-world applications?

Gravimetric analysis of phosphorous is commonly used in environmental testing to monitor levels of phosphorous in water and soil. It is also used in the production of fertilizers, as phosphorous is an essential nutrient for plant growth. In the food industry, it is used to determine the phosphorous content in food products. It can also be used in forensic analysis and pharmaceutical research.