Product of two systems of linear differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses three systems of linear differential equations, with the third system being defined as \frac{dz}{dt}=-ABz. The group also explores potential ways to deduce information about z based on the behavior of x and y, such as expressing z as a function of x and y or finding a function where z is less than f(x,y). The conversation concludes with one member stating they have solved their initial problem through a different approach.
Leo321
I have two systems of linear differential equations: [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=Ax[/itex], [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=By[/itex]
x,y are vectors of length n and A,B are nxn matrices.
I have a third system defined by: [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}=-ABz[/itex]
Is there anything we can say about what the third system represents in terms of the first two?
If we know some things about the behavior of x and y, what could be useful ways of deducing something about z?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can z be expressed as a function of x,y?
Or is there some function so that z(t)<f(x(t),y(t))?
We can assume that x(t)>0,y(t)>0.

Ok, I think I solved what I wanted through a different path. Thanks for the attempts, even if they were only at the mental level.

What is a product of two systems of linear differential equations?

A product of two systems of linear differential equations is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two systems of linear differential equations together. It is used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve differential equations.

How is the product of two systems of linear differential equations calculated?

The product of two systems of linear differential equations is calculated by multiplying each equation in one system with each equation in the other system and then simplifying the resulting equations. This process is similar to multiplying two polynomials.

What is the significance of the product of two systems of linear differential equations?

The product of two systems of linear differential equations is significant because it allows us to solve more complex problems that cannot be solved using a single system of equations. It also helps us understand the interactions between different variables in a system.

What are some common applications of the product of two systems of linear differential equations?

The product of two systems of linear differential equations is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to model and solve problems related to population growth, chemical reactions, electric circuits, and more.

Are there any limitations to using the product of two systems of linear differential equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using the product of two systems of linear differential equations. It can only be applied to linear systems, which means that the variables in the equations must have a linear relationship. Additionally, the product may not always provide a unique solution and may require further analysis and interpretation.