Tutoring a Math Student: Struggling to Write Proofs

In summary, when tutoring someone in math, it's important to start with simpler examples and use visuals to help them understand. Breaking down the proof into smaller steps and encouraging them to ask questions can also be helpful. With patience and practice, your classmate will eventually understand how to write proofs.
Imparcticle
I'm tutoring a girl in my math class on how to write proofs. She understands what information she needs to prove something, but the only problem is she doesn't understand how to put the data in order. I tried to the following to clear things up for her:
1.) I asked her to prove to me that the sandwich I had sitting next to me (in a wrapper) was indeed a sandwhich.
result: didn't work quite as well as I hoped. The proof for this was a little too redundant, that it was hard.

2.) I began explaining proofs for triangle postulates ASA, SAS,
AAS, SSS and Isosceles Triangle Theorem (my favorite!).

None of the above worked well. I DON'T KNOW what'll work best so that she could really understand it. I feel really bad that I haven't cleared it up for her. ANY help will do.

-thanx

Science news on Phys.org
WEll when tutoring you have to be able to understand it really well yourself. Can you prove that is in ifact a sandwhich next you?

Try this: Tell her that she has to convince you, with evidence, that (insert whatever is being proven) is true. Ignore order. Just get her to figure out what all the encessary parts are first. ONce she can do that reliably, THEN have her work on putting them in the correct logical sequence.

The basic problem is you're trying too much at once. You have to get her to learn each part. The first is what evidence you need to make your proof. The second part is organizing it. One step at a time.

Don't do examples for her, ask her questions hat force her to think of the right answers. Walk her through your own mental process towards the solution. She probably knows the absic prinicples but just has trouble stringing them together and/or has confidence issues with accepting the answer she thinks is right. So push her in that direction.

I think I've tutored way too many girls in math over the years...oh well most of them were girlfriends at the time anyway.

Last edited:

Hi there! It sounds like you're doing a great job trying to help your classmate understand proofs. Here are a few suggestions that may help:

1. Start with simpler examples: Instead of jumping straight into proving that a sandwich is a sandwich, try simpler examples that are easier to visualize and understand. For example, you could ask her to prove that a square has four sides or that the sum of two even numbers is always even. This will help her get a better grasp of the concept before moving on to more complex proofs.

2. Use visuals: Many people find it easier to understand concepts when they can see them visually. Try drawing diagrams or using props to help her visualize the information she needs to prove. For example, for the sandwich proof, you could use an actual sandwich or draw a picture of one.

3. Break it down step by step: Sometimes proofs can seem overwhelming because there are so many steps involved. Break down the proof into smaller, more manageable steps and have her focus on one step at a time. This will also help her see the logical progression of the proof.

4. Encourage her to ask questions: It's important for your classmate to feel comfortable asking questions when she doesn't understand something. Encourage her to ask questions and be patient in explaining the concepts to her.

I hope these suggestions are helpful! Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged. With patience and practice, your classmate will eventually understand how to write proofs. Good luck!

1. How can I help a math student struggling to write proofs?

As a tutor, it is important to first identify the specific areas where the student is struggling. This could be understanding the concepts, organizing their thoughts, or using the correct notation. Once you have identified the problem, you can work on providing targeted explanations, practice problems, and strategies to improve their proof writing skills.

2. What are some common mistakes that students make when writing proofs?

One common mistake is assuming what needs to be proven, instead of expressing it clearly. Students may also struggle with using precise mathematical language and notation, which can lead to incorrect or ambiguous statements. Another mistake is jumping to conclusions without providing sufficient justification or evidence.

3. How can I help a student become more confident in writing proofs?

Confidence in proof writing comes with practice. Encourage your student to work on a variety of proof exercises, starting with simpler problems and gradually moving on to more complex ones. Provide positive reinforcement and constructive feedback to build their confidence. You can also suggest helpful resources, such as online tutorials or books, to supplement your sessions.

4. Are there any tips or strategies that can make proof writing easier for students?

There are several strategies that can make proof writing easier for students. One is to break down the problem into smaller steps and focus on one at a time. Another is to use diagrams or visual aids to help with visualization. It is also helpful to encourage students to explain their thought process out loud, as this can help them organize their ideas and catch any mistakes.

5. How can I make tutoring sessions on proof writing more engaging and interactive?

There are many ways to make proof writing tutoring sessions more engaging and interactive. You can incorporate games or puzzles that require proof writing, use real-life examples to demonstrate the importance of proofs, or have the student work on proofs collaboratively with you or their peers. It is also helpful to ask open-ended questions and encourage critical thinking to keep the student engaged and actively learning.