Digital Communications : Distortion signal

In summary, the amplitude and phase distortion for the given inputs is unaffected by the transmission distortion.
naspek
hey there.. i just don't know how to start answering this question..
please help me get through this question.. thanks..

A channel has amplitude response and phase shift shown in the link below. State what type of distortion is imposed for each of the inputs given below:
i) (cos 20 pi t) + (2 cos 140 pi t)
ii) (cos 130 pi t) + (6 cos 180 pi t)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847/66626643.jpg/

[PLAIN]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/9726/66626643.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how would you define amplitude and phase distortion? What are the frequencies that each of the two signals you listed carry? Notice your graphs have an x-axis of "frequency."

When you look at the particular frequencies that your input signal has on the graphs of the channel, what are these plots doing to your input?

Try starting with those questions and see what you come up with. Lining up the amplitude and phase plots (one on top of the other) may help your interpretation.

Ecthelion said:
Well, how would you define amplitude and phase distortion? What are the frequencies that each of the two signals you listed carry? Notice your graphs have an x-axis of "frequency."

When you look at the particular frequencies that your input signal has on the graphs of the channel, what are these plots doing to your input?

Try starting with those questions and see what you come up with. Lining up the amplitude and phase plots (one on top of the other) may help your interpretation.

Find the output to each of the inputs given below. For which cases is the transmission
distortionless? For the other cases, indicate what type of distorsion in imposed.
(a) cos(48πt) + 5 cos(126πt)
(b) cos(126πt) + 0.5 cos(170πt)
(c) cos(126πt) + 3 cos(144πt)
(d) cos(10πt) + 4cos(50πt)
Solution: Note that the four input signals are of the form xi(t) = a cos(2πf1t)+b cos(2πf2t),
for i = 1, 2, 3, 4. Consequently, their Fourier transforms consist of four impulses:
Xi(f) = a/2[δ(f + f1) + δ(f − f1)] + b/2[δ(f + f2) + δ(f − f2)], i= 1, 2, 3, 4.
With this in mind, we have the following
(a) Amplitude distortion; no phase distortion.
(b) No amplitude distortion; phase distortion.
(c) No amplitude distortion; no phase distortion.
(d) No amplitude distortion; no phase distortion.

I've got the answer... as mentioned above..
However.. i just can't understand it..
should i calculate something to proof that the signal have amplitude or phase distortion?

1. What is distortion in digital communications?

Distortion in digital communications refers to the alteration or corruption of a signal as it travels through a communication channel. It can be caused by various factors such as noise, interference, and signal attenuation, and can result in errors and loss of information in the transmitted signal.

2. How does distortion affect digital communication signals?

Distortion can cause a variety of effects on digital communication signals, including loss of data, decrease in signal quality, and increase in error rates. In severe cases, distortion can completely disrupt the transmission of information, leading to communication failure.

3. What are the different types of distortion in digital communications?

There are several types of distortion that can occur in digital communications, including amplitude distortion, phase distortion, and frequency distortion. These distortions can be caused by factors such as noise, multipath propagation, and nonlinearities in the communication channel or electronic components.

4. How can distortion be minimized in digital communications?

There are various techniques and technologies that can be used to minimize distortion in digital communications. These include equalization, filtering, error correction coding, and adaptive signal processing. Additionally, using high-quality components and maintaining proper signal-to-noise ratios can also help reduce distortion.

5. What are some common applications of digital communications that require distortion control?

Digital communications with high data rates and long transmission distances, such as satellite communications, cellular networks, and internet connections, often require distortion control to ensure reliable and accurate transmission of information. Additionally, digital audio and video broadcasting, as well as high-speed data transfer in computer networks, also rely on effective distortion control techniques.