Why is a Cavity Within a Conductor Important?

In summary, the textbook argues that if there is no charge inside the cavity, the electric field is zero. However, if there is a charge, the electric field is still positive.
sparkle123
This is an excerpt from my textbook. Could someone please help me understand why the line I highlighted in yellow is true? Thanks! :)
98d7a7ea.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose E is non-zero and in fact looks as shown in the drawing. Then if you chop the path along the line from A to B in many, say 1000, small pieces ds, you can calculate 1000 dot products E.ds each of which is equal to Eds and positive because the cosine of the angle between E and ds is +1. Now if you add 1000 positive numbers, what do you end up with?

kuruman said:
Suppose E is non-zero and in fact looks as shown in the drawing. Then if you chop the path along the line from A to B in many, say 1000, small pieces ds, you can calculate 1000 dot products E.ds each of which is equal to Eds and positive because the cosine of the angle between E and ds is +1. Now if you add 1000 positive numbers, what do you end up with?

I don't think one can assume that this path drawn on the textbook necessarily follows some unknown field line. Along the curve, the E field might not might not be parallel to dS.

But we can improvise: start from A, follows the field line like you suggested to some other point C, then go along the cavity surface until you reach B. In the A-C leg of the curve, the potential different would be non-zero if there is a finite field. The C-B leg of the curve contributes nothing to the potential different since electric field is always normal at a conductor surface. Note that A-C cannot be done if there is some point charge inside the cavity...

Anyway, I think this particular argument of the textbook is not very good. What if there is a some charge in the cavity? In this case, electric field is clearly not zero. Yet the potential difference between A and B is still zero.

mathfeel said:
I don't think one can assume that this path drawn on the textbook necessarily follows some unknown field line. Along the curve, the E field might not might not be parallel to dS.
The statement is "... we can always find a path ..." I have found such a path. It is the one in which E is always parallel to ds.
mathfeel said:
Anyway, I think this particular argument of the textbook is not very good. What if there is a some charge in the cavity? In this case, electric field is clearly not zero. Yet the potential difference between A and B is still zero.
If there is a charge, yes you are right. However, the textbook clearly states "Let assume that no charges are inside the cavity." You cannot change the assumptions then claim that the argument is no good.

thanks to both! but what if the field was entirely contained within the cavity, like a loop or something?

Static electric field lines (as might be the case here) start at positive charges and end at negative charges. If they formed closed loops, the integral [itex]\oint \vec{E}\cdot d \vec{s}[/itex] would not be zero contradicting the conservative nature of a static electric field.

oh okay thanks! :)

What is a cavity within a conductor?

A cavity within a conductor refers to an empty space or void located within a material that can conduct electricity, such as a metal.

What causes a cavity within a conductor?

A cavity within a conductor can be caused by a variety of factors, including defects in the material, physical damage, or the presence of impurities.

How does a cavity within a conductor affect conductivity?

A cavity within a conductor can significantly reduce the conductivity of the material, as it disrupts the flow of electrons and creates areas of higher resistance.

Can a cavity within a conductor be repaired?

In most cases, a cavity within a conductor cannot be repaired. However, it can be prevented by using high-quality materials and proper handling and storage techniques.

What are the potential consequences of a cavity within a conductor?

A cavity within a conductor can lead to equipment malfunction, increased energy consumption, and potential safety hazards. It can also affect the performance and lifespan of electronic devices.