What happens to organic material buried inside a plastic bag?

In summary: If the bag was perforated it's possible that some of the contents (i.e. fluid, insects, etc.) leaked out.In summary, my mother buried her cat 5 years ago this month. I remember I wasn't home back then and it was a hard time. Yesterday we were talking about this and she asked me if I think the body is completely gone, and I said of course until she mentioned she put the cat in a plastic bag before buring it. I didn't know that, it took me by surprise and now I really have no idea whether or not the animal actually decomposed properly. What do you think happened? Could there still be fluids inside the bag after a looong time?
kaleidoscope
So my mother buried her cat 5 years ago this month. I remember I wasn't home back then and it was a hard time. Yesterday we were talking about this and she asked me if I think the body is completely gone, and I said of course until she mentioned she put the cat in a plastic bag before buring it. I didn't know that, it took me by surprise and now I really have no idea whether or not the animal actually decomposed properly. What do you think happened? Could there still be fluids inside the bag after a looong time?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Firstly depending on what the bag is made out of it may also have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodegradable_plastic" .

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to what ryan points out, you may wish to investigate the processes of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decomposition#Animal_decomposition". Although anaerobic decomposition initiates within the animal, it may continue to proceed outside of the animal, if the plastic bag remains intact and when the aerobic organisms have depleted the available oxygen inside the bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its ridiculously difficult to make/keep anything sterile. Just ask anybody who has ever worked in an OR or a Biologist of some sort what great lengths people must go through to make and keep things sterile.

Unless your mother autoclaved everything and anything that came in contact with the bag, cat, dirt (including the bag, cat, dirt), there shouldn't really be any reason for the process to have slowed or halted to any appreciable degree.

Thank you guys. But what I wonder is what is inside the bag. Just bones? Fluids? A mummy? Share your insights please.

By the way, is there any way the plastic bag could have been perforated by action of insects, rocks or acids?

kaleidoscope said:
Thank you guys. But what I wonder is what is inside the bag. Just bones? Fluids? A mummy? Share your insights please.

By the way, is there any way the plastic bag could have been perforated by action of insects, rocks or acids?

Well it depends on if the bag is still there, it may have degraded depending on its material. After a number of years it's bound to be just bones and some very rotten flesh. I doubt rocks would break the bag (unless you live near an earthquake zone) and I'm not sure where you get acids. It's conceivable that borrowing insects may make existing holes larger. I'm not sure if they could burrow through on their own.

I assume he's talking about the soil's natural composition, which may make it slightly acidic.

1. What happens to the organic material inside a plastic bag buried in a landfill?

When organic material, such as food waste or plant matter, is buried inside a plastic bag in a landfill, it undergoes anaerobic decomposition. This means that it breaks down without the presence of oxygen. As the material decomposes, it produces methane gas, which is a potent greenhouse gas. The plastic bag acts as a barrier, trapping the methane gas and preventing it from being released into the atmosphere.

2. Does the plastic bag affect the decomposition process of the organic material?

Yes, the plastic bag can have a significant impact on the decomposition process. By creating an anaerobic environment, the plastic bag slows down the decomposition process. This is because microorganisms that aid in decomposition require oxygen to break down organic material. Additionally, some types of plastic can take hundreds of years to degrade, further delaying the decomposition of the organic material inside.

3. Can the organic material inside a plastic bag eventually decompose in a landfill?

Yes, eventually the organic material inside a plastic bag can decompose in a landfill. This process can take decades or even centuries, depending on the type of plastic and the conditions in the landfill. However, even after the organic material has decomposed, the plastic bag will remain in the landfill for a much longer period of time, contributing to the growing problem of plastic pollution.

4. Is it better to bury organic material in a plastic bag or without one?

Neither option is ideal. Burying organic material without a plastic bag allows for the material to decompose more quickly, but it also releases methane gas into the atmosphere. Burying organic material in a plastic bag slows down the decomposition process and traps the methane gas, but it also contributes to the problem of plastic pollution. The most sustainable solution is to compost organic material, which allows it to decompose aerobically and without the use of plastic.

5. How does the presence of a plastic bag affect the surrounding environment in a landfill?

The presence of plastic bags in landfills can have a negative impact on the surrounding environment. As the plastic bags break down, they release microplastics, which can contaminate soil and water. This can harm plants and animals living in the area and also contribute to the larger issue of plastic pollution in our environment. Additionally, the slow decomposition of plastic bags in landfills takes up valuable space and can limit the capacity of the landfill for other waste.