Why Is Copper More Conductive Than Iron Despite Fewer Free Electrons?

• Thread starter rachelcapt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conduction
In summary, the number of free electrons and the scattering cross section of ions and impurities play a role in determining the conductivity of a metal. While copper has fewer free electrons than iron, its lower scattering cross section makes it more conductive. This is reflected in the lower electrical resistivity of copper compared to iron.
rachelcapt
I thought the thing that makes a metal more conductive is the number of free electrons...

How then is copper more conductive than iron when copper has only 8.47 (x10^22) free electrons per cm cubed compared to a massive 17 for iron?

If someone could explain this to me my face will go like this :-)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The scattering cross section of ions and other impurities is higher in Fe.

JMD

nbo10 is correct. You can verify this thru electrical resistivity values. The resistivity for Fe is about 5 times higher than it is for Cu.

Thanks for your replies - that sounds right.

Does anyone have any figures for the scattering cross sectional areas of Cu and Fe?

1. What is conduction?

Conduction is the transfer of heat or electricity through a medium, usually a solid material. It occurs when molecules in the medium vibrate and transfer energy to neighboring molecules, causing them to vibrate as well.

2. What causes problems with conduction?

Problems with conduction can be caused by factors such as the type of material used, its thickness, and its ability to conduct heat or electricity. Other factors can include external conditions like temperature and pressure.

3. How does conduction affect my daily life?

Conduction plays a significant role in our daily lives. It allows us to cook food on a stove, warm our homes with insulation, and use electronic devices. Without conduction, many of the technologies we rely on would not exist.

4. What are some examples of good and bad conductors?

Good conductors of heat and electricity include metals such as copper, silver, and aluminum. Poor conductors, also known as insulators, include materials like rubber, wood, and plastic.

5. How can I improve conduction in a specific material?

There are several ways to improve conduction in a material. One way is to increase the density of the material, which allows for more efficient transfer of energy. Another method is to use materials with higher conductivity, such as metals, or to add a conductive coating to the surface of the material.