High voltage high amperage supply

In summary, this person wants to build a Tesla coil that has different sized coils that can create different voltages and amperages. He also wants to build a separate coil that will combine the voltages and amperages from the other coils. He does not have the financial backing to do this on his own.
reddevil2576
Hello there i have an idea i want to try to build and i want to see what you think. I want to build a tesla coil that instead of making high voltage low amperage switch the coil sizes around so i have something that makes high amperage and low voltage say about 300-500 amps.

Then i want to take another tesla coil that creates high voltage and low amperage. What would happen if i make it so that the high voltage here jumps across through the air to the second coil that has the high amperage low voltage is this like putting batteries in series or parallel this isn't really either one. Would it do something different and combine the voltages and amperage's?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Even if it arc across, it only last nano seconds, what good does that do? Also when arcing like this, surface get burnt, making thunderous sound. When we test circuits at 10KV+ with high current capability, it was loud. Also you will never pass UL or CE emission test, you are going to freeze up all the computers in the surrounding. Also even if you can make it work, the power is limited by the power of the high voltage low current coil.You will find it very very hard to control the environment with your idea, humidity, ozone emission and all the above.

Last edited:
I would like to do solid state tesla coils for this so it doesn't last just nanoseconds. The only thing arcing across will be the high voltage low amperage though it will be arcing over to the high amperage supply. Will this combine them to make a high amperage high voltage power supply?

reddevil2576 said:
I would like to do solid state tesla coils for this so it doesn't last just nanoseconds. The only thing arcing across will be the high voltage low amperage though it will be arcing over to the high amperage supply. Will this combine them to make a high amperage high voltage power supply?

I don't think so, I don't think you can sustain an arc for that long and without destroying things. Also if you take a D cell of 1.5V of say 5A capability and put in series with a 9V small battery or only 0.5A capability, you don't get a 10.5V 5A capability power source. The current limit is limited by the 9V battery. You get a 10.5V 0.5A battery!

Not to mention you have to have some serious isolation power supply to power the circuit that is going to be jumped up. Tell me what you want first, I'll see whether there is any other way to get what you want.

Yeah but can you really say this is in series or in parallel all your doing is jumping the voltage across to the amperage. the grounds and powers aren't connected to be in parallel and the powerside isn't touching the ground on the otherside to be in series. i don't know though its just a thought I'm going to build sometime and see what happens. I need to build a very powerful electromagnet. I would like to use between 300-500 amps and about 50,000 volts for a power supply for this. and I am trying to build my own power supply within my money capabilities.

reddevil2576 said:
Yeah but can you really say this is in series or in parallel all your doing is jumping the voltage across to the amperage. the grounds and powers aren't connected to be in parallel and the powerside isn't touching the ground on the otherside to be in series. i don't know though its just a thought I'm going to build sometime and see what happens. I need to build a very powerful electromagnet. I would like to use between 300-500 amps and about 50,000 volts for a power supply for this. and I am trying to build my own power supply within my money capabilities.

300A and 50KV?! You are talking about Mega Watt supply? This belong to company like Aidin Energy division I worked for back in late 70s that design the high voltage supply for the fusion experiment for Lawrance Livermore Lab. We needed to have special power line coming straight from PG&E! We had over 100 people and one division worth to work on this power supply alone! I think that was for a super magnet that suspend something up...I don't even know enough about the detail as we only get the contract to design the power supply and I was only a small engineer at the time to design the control system.

I hope you have very very strong financial backing!

actually i don't. i don't know if i need a power supply that big even. I'm just wanting to go big or go home. I have an invention that i want to build that's going to take very powerful electromagnets for it to work. I've been thinking about seeing if i can get funding to build my idea but i don't know where to begin. but if this idea worked you wouldn't need that deep of pockets to build it. i do appreciate the input you have given though.

I have a 250 amp DC welder. I am imagining connecting it to a 5 million volt tesla coil and DESTROYING both of them.

The rectifier diodes in the welder will go poof, all the insulation will arc over, and the initial pulse of 250 amps through the tesla coil will incinerate it too.Might make an interesting episode of Mythbusters, however . . .

Here is a more practical (from an engineering standpoint, if not from a financial one) idea :wire 500,000 Tesla coils in parallel, you will have the high voltage, and if one Tesla coil generates .001 amps, then you would have 500 amps if they were paralleled.

And please post a notice when you get ready to try this, I want to be as far away as possible.; )

Cold!:rofl:

1. What is a high voltage high amperage supply?

A high voltage high amperage supply is a type of power supply that is capable of delivering both high voltage and high current simultaneously. This means that it can provide a large amount of electrical energy to a device or system, often for high-power applications.

2. What are the main uses of a high voltage high amperage supply?

High voltage high amperage supplies are commonly used in industrial and scientific settings for applications such as welding, electroplating, and powering high-powered equipment or machinery. They are also used in medical devices, such as X-ray machines, and in research facilities for experiments that require high levels of energy.

3. How does a high voltage high amperage supply work?

A high voltage high amperage supply typically consists of a transformer, which converts the input voltage to a higher level, and a rectifier, which converts the AC output of the transformer to DC. The DC output is then regulated to maintain a constant voltage and current, allowing it to deliver a stable high power output.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when working with a high voltage high amperage supply?

High voltage high amperage supplies can be dangerous and should be handled with caution. It is important to ensure that the supply is properly grounded and to use appropriate safety gear, such as insulated gloves and goggles. It is also important to follow proper procedures for turning the supply on and off and to never touch any exposed wires or components while the supply is in operation.

5. How do I choose the right high voltage high amperage supply for my application?

The right high voltage high amperage supply will depend on your specific application and power requirements. Factors to consider include the voltage and current requirements of your device, the type of output (AC or DC), and any additional features needed, such as variable voltage or current control. It is important to consult with an expert or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to ensure that you choose a supply that is suitable for your needs.