Taylor Series/Radius of Convergence - I just need a hint

In summary, the conversation discusses the radius of convergence for a Taylor series and how it can be determined using the n-th root test. The confusion arises from the fact that the b_n coefficients are all 0 for n > 2, but the series still converges for all x. The n-th root test is then used to show that the series converges for all x.
DivGradCurl
Consider the following:

[tex] f(x) = 1 + x + x^2 = 7 + 5 (x-2) + (x-2)^2 [/tex]

which is a Taylor series centered at 2. My question is: what is the radius of convergence? The answer in my book is [tex] R=\infty [/tex], but take a look at this:

[tex] f(x) = 7 + 5 (x-2) + (x-2)^2 = \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} b_n (x-2)^n \Longrightarrow \left| x-2 \right| < 1 [/tex]

Then, I get

[tex] 1 \leq x \leq 3 \Longrightarrow R = \frac{3-1}{2}=1 \neq \infty [/tex]

In other words, I'm a bit confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your confusion is that the [itex]b_n[/itex] are ALL 0 for n > 2. There's nothing to test since the series is perfectly well defined for all x. You might try, for example, comparing the terms in your series with the terms in a series you know converges for all x such as [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex]. Clearly, for n > 2 each term of your series is smaller than the corresponding term in the latter expansion.

It looks like you tried to use the ratio test, but you can't because you need to find the limit of 0/0.

However, you can apply the n-th root test, which will, indeed, say that it converges for all x. (as it should because the function is a polynomial which exists for all x!)

It makes sense now.

Thanks.

What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical concept that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is calculated from the function's derivatives at a single point.

What is the purpose of a Taylor Series?

The purpose of a Taylor Series is to approximate a function with a polynomial, making it easier to calculate and analyze.

What is the formula for a Taylor Series?

The formula for a Taylor Series is f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ..., where f(x) is the function being approximated, a is the point of approximation, and f'(a), f''(a), etc. are the derivatives of the function evaluated at a.

What is the Radius of Convergence?

The Radius of Convergence is the distance from the center of a Taylor Series to the point at which the series no longer converges. It is determined by the convergence criteria of the series, such as the ratio test or the root test.

How do you calculate the Radius of Convergence?

The Radius of Convergence can be calculated by taking the limit of the ratio between the n+1 term and the nth term of the series, as n approaches infinity. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges, and the Radius of Convergence is the distance from the center to the point of convergence. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges, and the Radius of Convergence is infinite.