What if the Higgs is not discovered?

• Thread starter Dadface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Higgs
In summary: Higgs Boson being discovered. The discussion mainly focuses on whether or not the tax paying public would view the discovery of the Higgs as being worth it, and whether or not it would be better for humanity to stop at some point in its research. It is noted that without basic physics research, many modern day technologies would not be possible, and that the LHC has costed a lot of money. It is also said that while the discovery of the Higgs has led to a better understanding of physics, it is not a requirement for life as previously thought. It is also mentioned that other animals may have been right all along about the importance of physics, and that humans may
Dadface
If the Higgs is not discovered with the present generation of machines then would that really be an important discovery in its own right and could the tax paying public be convinced that their money had been well spent?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not convinced the tax paying public sees actually discovering it as money well spent in the first place.

One has to admit that a lot of good physics has come out of the accelerators that we build. Higgs was indeed amongst other things the primary objective, SUSY is also not looking too well at Lepton-Photon 2011. Now as it has been stated before, people never see paying money to do physics experiments with good eyes, however, it seems that the money was well spend. But with all that said, there's still some chance that it'll show up.

Without basic physics research we wouldn't have transistors, computers, internet, radio TV
One couldn't get a scan in a hospital, or an Xray
So fundamentals of physics are good, basic research is required to develop new technology
The LHC has costed us lots of money; and it might take 50 years or more to see its fruits
But meanwhile even by building it we improved our understanding of physics

is it worth it ?

No we never needed computers internet mobile phones, GPS windmills solarpower etc.
i prefer a cavemen lifestyle, and be close to nature
And have a throw-able tablet, (a stone) for killing animals.

where did it go wrong ?

i guess some people needed to invent fire for a smoke or cooking.

Can we go back ?

Sure find my cave.

Should we stop at some point ?

Yes my cave really is enough once you get used to birds instead of ringtones.

Is it like a religion asking for funding and giving a believe ?

Yes if you think we and our inventions of cellphones etc do really matter in the universe.
I try to keep my universe at the size of my cave and we simply scream instead of dial.
Oh an just for the record from ALL Earth's species only we think we need to dial daily or need to be online.
But its really no requirement for life, and i even doubt it makes sense.
All those other animals might have been right all the time.
As monkeys we must be quite amusing to them.

Oh well let's go back to my cave :rofl:

1. What is the Higgs boson and why is its discovery important?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give other particles their mass. Its discovery would confirm the existence of the Higgs field, which is a fundamental part of the Standard Model of particle physics. The discovery of the Higgs boson would also help us better understand the origins of the universe and the fundamental laws of nature.

2. What if the Higgs boson is not discovered?

If the Higgs boson is not discovered, it would mean that our current understanding of particle physics is incomplete. It would also raise questions about the validity of the Standard Model and the role of the Higgs field in giving particles their mass. Scientists would need to come up with new theories and experiments to explain the missing piece in our understanding of the universe.

3. How would the absence of the Higgs boson affect current research and experiments?

The absence of the Higgs boson would require a reevaluation of current research and experiments that have been based on the assumption of its existence. Scientists would need to develop new theories and experiments to fill the gaps in our understanding of particle physics and the fundamental laws of nature.

4. Are there any potential implications for everyday life if the Higgs is not discovered?

The discovery of the Higgs boson would not have any direct implications for everyday life. However, it would contribute to our understanding of the universe and the laws that govern it, which can have indirect effects on technology and advancements in the future.

5. What other avenues are there for understanding the origins of mass if the Higgs is not discovered?

If the Higgs boson is not discovered, scientists would need to explore alternative theories and concepts to explain the origins of mass. This could include studying alternative models of particle physics or investigating the possibility of multiple Higgs-like particles. It could also lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.