Exploring Jet Propulsion: Building a Replica Model of a Hero's Engine

In summary, I designed and analyzed a model of a wing that uses the principles of the vortex sheet. I found that the wing had a higher stall speed and less lift than a conventional wing. My project was focused on finding a way to make the wing more efficient. Thanks.In summary, the wing has a higher stall speed and less lift than a conventional wing. My project was focused on finding a way to make the wing more efficient.
batesy93
hi
Im currently studying aeronautical engineering at college and needed some ideas for projects and whether they would be pliable or not
My current idea:
A replica of hero's engine to show the basic principles of jet propulsion but to spice the idea up a little bit, i was thinking about turning it on its end and attaching multiple aerofoils to the top surface and see if it would take to the air.
any advice on materials and such would be greatly appreciated or any ideas for other projects my time frame for this is about 3 months work from 9-4 in the workshop monday to friday.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to build a rocket that can lift off but has no controls?

EDIT: If you want to do something with rockets. You could build a rocket, a contraption to hold it in place and perhaps allow it to pivot about it's center of mass, and play around with thrust vectoring.

Last edited:
The problem is the idea has to be based around hero's engine and use steam for it to be worth anything the problem is I'd have to find materials that are able to be pressurised and light but yes it doesn't need controls just the ability to lift off and land preferably vertically so maybe some sort of cable attached not sure at the moment though.

Hi Guy

im in my final year of study, and i was asked to select a project. i am intersted in doing a project related to aerospace and these are some topics I am thinking of, which project will be useful for me :

1) Irreversible Thermodynamics in Magnetic Propulsion
2) Nuclear propulsion
3) NanoFluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer
4)Research in Hypersonic Flow on the SR-71 Blackbird
5) Electromagnetic Propulsion

Thanks

I hope those ideas are all theory based...I don't see any of them being cheap or plausible within a semester! And I don't know how happy the Gov when you ask for nuclear material lol.

lool yh they all reserach based project, but i dnt no which one will be a good project that will stand out if i go for a job interview

Dont do a project that is way off the scale, choice something that you can put all your effort into and don't get board of too easy.
A good project would be stalling characteristics of the different types of wing platforms.

I recently done a design and analysis project got allot out of it.

Last edited:

What is jet propulsion?

Jet propulsion is a method of generating thrust by expelling a high-speed jet of fluid or gas in the opposite direction of the desired movement. In the context of aerospace engineering, it is commonly used in aircraft and spacecraft to provide the necessary thrust for propulsion.

Who invented the Hero's engine?

The Hero's engine, also known as the aeolipile, was invented by the ancient Greek mathematician and engineer, Hero of Alexandria. He first described the device in his work "Pneumatica" in the 1st century AD.

Why is building a replica model of the Hero's engine important?

Building a replica model of the Hero's engine allows us to better understand the principles of jet propulsion and its historical significance. It also serves as a great educational tool to demonstrate the concepts of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics.

What materials are needed to build a replica model of the Hero's engine?

To build a replica model of the Hero's engine, you will need a metal or glass globe, a hollow metal spindle, a small boiler, a heat source, and some tubing. You may also need some basic tools such as pliers and a drill.

Can a replica model of the Hero's engine actually produce thrust?

Yes, a properly built replica model of the Hero's engine can produce a small amount of thrust. However, it is not efficient enough to be used as a practical method of propulsion for modern aircraft or spacecraft.