Establishing Logical Laws: The Categorical Imperative Approach

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Logic
In summary, the categorical imperative is a system of moral philosophy that involves two tests to determine if an action is moral.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I can't find a satisfactory way of asking this, so just pretend you are the sole founder of a country and you need to establish the laws of the land. Having an appreciation for logic, you decide your system of laws must have a rigorous, logical foundation.

What type/system of logic will you choose? i.e. propositional, predicate, fuzzy, mathematical, etc.

How would your laws be stated and applied? ex.
L: If you committed murder, then it was in self-defense.
if L is true, you go free, if L is false, you go to prison.
Well, that's a horrible example :yuck: but you get the idea hopefully.

I'm not asking what specific laws you would create, but what rules you would establish for creating and applying laws, i.e., to determine if a proposed law is "valid", to ensure that the law is unambiguous & applied consistenly, etc.

Sorry, that isn't very clear, but maybe someone understands what the &*%@ I'm trying to ask.
Happy thoughts,
Rachel

Physics news on Phys.org
Back in high school, we learned a method of testing things. I'm pretty sure it has a formal name, but I don't remember it.
Take the action done to each extreme:

Ex. Someone kills an innocent person.
Extreme 1 = Everyone kills an innocent person. The society could not surrvice there for it it bad.
Extreme 2 = No one kills an innocent person. The society is not hurt, therefore it is good.
Therefore: Killing an innocent person is bad

Ex. Someone kills in self defence.
Extreme 1 = Everyone kills in self defence. The offender dies, victum lives.
Extreme 2 = No one kills in self defence. The victum dies, offender lives.
Therefore: Innocent life out weighs the offenders life, therefore self defence is ok

Ex. Somone Eats Rocky Road Ice cream.
Extreme 1 = Everone eats Rocky Road Ice Cream. The socity is not effected.
Extreme 2 = No One eats Rocky Road Ice Cream. The society is not effected.
Therefore: It does not matter, no law is needed.

It works great for basic fundamental ideals, but it gets very difficult and arguable when things get a lot more complicated.

This is the idea behind Kant's Categorical Imperitive.

Yes, the method is called the categorical imperative, and it involves two tests: universalization and reversal. For any action you have the opportunity to take, consider first - what would be the consequence is everyone took the same action? And second - what would be the consequence if an action you take against another is taken against you?

1. What is the law of logic?

The law of logic is a set of principles that govern the way we think and reason. It is based on the idea that there are certain rules and principles that must be followed in order to come to valid conclusions and make sound arguments.

2. Why is logic important?

Logic is important because it helps us to think critically and make rational decisions. It allows us to analyze arguments and determine their validity, which is crucial in many fields such as science, law, and philosophy.

3. What are the basic principles of logic?

The basic principles of logic include the law of identity, the law of non-contradiction, and the law of excluded middle. The law of identity states that something is itself and not something else. The law of non-contradiction states that something cannot be both true and false at the same time. The law of excluded middle states that something is either true or false, there is no middle ground.

4. How does logic apply to the law?

Logic plays a crucial role in the legal system. It is used to determine the validity of arguments and evidence presented in court. Judges and lawyers must use logical reasoning to make fair and just decisions in legal cases.

5. Can logic be taught?

While some people may have a natural inclination towards logical thinking, logic can be taught and improved upon. Just like any skill, it takes practice and study to become proficient in using logical reasoning. Many schools and universities offer courses in logic to help students develop critical thinking skills.