Wave Propagation solution for a variable area 1D duct

In summary, when solving wave equations, it is important to apply initial and boundary conditions to determine the constants and solve the problem.
domainxh
In the problem I am suppose to use the wave equation to solve it.

I assume 1D plane wave duct,

u(x,t) = 1/(rho*C)*real((Aexp(ikx)-Bexp(-ikx))exp(iwt))
where C is the speed of sound, u is the velocity, p is the pressure, w is the angular frequency, t is time, rho is the density, and both A and B are unknown constants which I have to find.

The equation for Pressure is similar except without density and speed of sound term,
p(x,t) = real((Aexp(ikx)-Bexp(-ikx))exp(iwt))

At the area changing point, I am suppose to assume the same pressure and Aa*U1 = Ab*U2 (essentially matching the conditions)

After applying the left end B.C, I get A = B
But I can't move any further... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• CD_HW-2.pdf
    61.4 KB · Views: 253
Engineering news on Phys.org
When dealing with wave equations, one of the most important steps is to apply the initial and boundary conditions to determine the constants A and B. In this case, you can use the assumption that the pressure and velocity at the area changing point are the same. This means that Aa*U1 = Ab*U2. You can then rearrange this equation to get A/B = U2/U1. Since you also know that A = B, this means that U2/U1 must be equal to 1. This implies that U1 = U2. Once you have determined U1 and U2, you can use the initial and boundary conditions (such as u(x=0,t)=0) to solve for A and B.

1. What is wave propagation?

Wave propagation is the movement of energy through a medium, such as air or water. It can take the form of sound, light, or other types of waves.

2. What is a 1D duct?

A 1D duct refers to a duct or channel that has only one dimension, typically length. This means that the duct has a constant cross-sectional area along its length.

3. How does the variable area affect wave propagation in a 1D duct?

The variable area of a 1D duct can affect wave propagation by changing the speed of the wave as it travels through the duct. This is due to changes in the density and pressure of the medium within the duct.

4. What is a wave propagation solution?

A wave propagation solution is a mathematical model that describes how waves travel through a medium. It takes into account various parameters, such as the properties of the medium and the geometry of the duct, to predict the behavior of the waves.

5. How can wave propagation solutions for variable area 1D ducts be used?

Wave propagation solutions for variable area 1D ducts can be used to understand and predict the behavior of waves in various engineering applications, such as in the design of acoustic or fluid systems. They can also be used to optimize the performance of these systems by studying the effects of different duct geometries and flow conditions.