Testing a Relativity Simulator

In summary, Andy has been working on a simulation/game that incorporates time dilation, length contraction, and other concepts related to Special Relativity. He is looking for feedback from experts and amateurs alike to make sure that the physics is correct and that the game is enlightening.
TestTubeGames
I've been working on a Special Relativity simulation/game, and I'm interested in getting some feedback.

Basically, it is a flash game that incorporates time dilation, length contraction, and so on. I'm hoping that it will be a fun way to make these abstract (and confusing) ideas hands-on. But for all that, I need to make sure that:

a)The physics is correct - no glaring misapplications of relativity
b)It is enlightening - not just a confusing jumble of weird physics

PM me if you're interested in testing out the game. I'm looking from feedback from both categories (so from both experts and amateurs). Thanks!

-Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
TestTubeGames said:
I've been working on a Special Relativity simulation/game, and I'm interested in getting some feedback.

Basically, it is a flash game that incorporates time dilation, length contraction, and so on. I'm hoping that it will be a fun way to make these abstract (and confusing) ideas hands-on. But for all that, I need to make sure that:

a)The physics is correct - no glaring misapplications of relativity
b)It is enlightening - not just a confusing jumble of weird physics

PM me if you're interested in testing out the game. I'm looking from feedback from both categories (so from both experts and amateurs). Thanks!

-Andy

Hi, I think it would be interesting to test your simulator, provided that I can run it on my ordinary computer.

Regards,

Erland

have fun getting the mathematics to not bog down your game, if I recall the black hole merger simulations had a similar problem but were able to overcome it. So take heart in that much. I would be interested also in testing the game out.

Mordred said:
have fun getting the mathematics to not bog down your game, if I recall the black hole merger simulations had a similar problem but were able to overcome it. So take heart in that much. I would be interested also in testing the game out.

Yes, I've got to say, streamlining the math was no easy task. Knowing how to calculate a single, symmetrical solution for a problem set is hard enough. Generalizing it to a simulation was tougher than I even imagined. Then making it run smoothly, phew! Certainly a fun challenge, though.

I appreciate that you're willing to take a look. As confusing as relativity is, I'd hate to have messed up somewhere in the sim, and be distributing further confusion to the masses.

I'll send both of you a private message with details on testing the game. Thanks!

What is a relativity simulator?

A relativity simulator is a computer program that uses mathematical equations to simulate the effects of relativity, specifically Einstein's theory of general relativity, on objects in motion.

What is the purpose of testing a relativity simulator?

The purpose of testing a relativity simulator is to verify its accuracy and effectiveness in simulating the effects of relativity. This is important for scientific research and understanding of the universe.

How is a relativity simulator tested?

A relativity simulator is typically tested by comparing its results to known theoretical predictions and experimental data. Various scenarios and parameters can be inputted to see if the simulator accurately reflects real-world phenomena.

What are some challenges in testing a relativity simulator?

One of the main challenges in testing a relativity simulator is the complexity of the mathematical equations involved. It can also be difficult to accurately simulate extreme conditions, such as near the speed of light or near a black hole.

What are the potential applications of a relativity simulator?

A relativity simulator can be used for various purposes, such as predicting the behavior of objects in space, understanding gravitational waves, and testing the validity of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It can also aid in the design of space missions and spacecraft trajectories.