Any future form of Physics behind future communication?

In summary, the future of communication may involve the use of electromagnetic waves, neutrinos, gravitational waves, and quantum effects. However, some of these technologies are currently limited by our understanding of fundamental physics and technological capabilities. Research is being conducted in areas such as quantum encryption and computation to improve communication and data transmission.
EfrainLagos
Today We use Electromagnetic Waves. What would be the future of form of communication?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I can't think of anything other than things going at the speed of light. I presume you are not thinking of sound waves.

even the sound waves are transmitted through electromagnetic waves. atoms act on each other just because of them

Quantum mechanics...
http://www.nec-labs.com/~mroetteler/e6713.html [Broken]
http://home.uchicago.edu/~ngemelke/slides_9.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to stay more or less within the realms of today's physics (no FTL, wormholes and the like), well, the obvious candidates that immediately spring to mind are neutrinos and gravitational waves. Much harder to block, distort or obscure. Neutrinos at least should also provide a lot of banwidth. Technical details of course would be... shall we say.. interesting.

Further afield, if you want something more "advanced", tachyons would be my favorite option.

There is research in the use of Quantum effects in communication channels to ensure security of transmitted data (by guaranteeing that the channel has not been tampered with for example).

Computation in general has a lot to gain from new discoveries in physics (Quantum computation being one such example).

Optical solitons, when discovered, enabled a revolution in data transmission in optical fibers. ELECTRICAL SOLITONS, which have been generated, promise to have a huge impact on our transmission of data from point to point. Google them.

Grizzled said:
If you want to stay more or less within the realms of today's physics (no FTL, wormholes and the like), well, the obvious candidates that immediately spring to mind are neutrinos and gravitational waves. Much harder to block, distort or obscure. Neutrinos at least should also provide a lot of banwidth. Technical details of course would be... shall we say.. interesting.

Hear, hear; gravity waves were the first thing I thought of, too. I read a sci-fi in which a micro black-hole was vibrated inside of an electrostatic bottle to produce gravity waves; I wonder if that would make a feasible transmitter in real life?

The next step would probably be neutrinos. We can produce and detect them, so its a question of reducing this, which is an engineering issue.

currently as far as I know , its Laser based optical transmission. The fastest I read was ~26 Terabits/sec for single laser by a research lab.

Futuristic technologies can be based on Quantum mechanics.

btw although it sounds a bit hypothetical but, I am pretty sure that if the universe is so much big as it is believed to be , then light isn't the fastest. If universe is infinite then there lies infinite possibilities associated with it.

But your laser beam can be blocked by a planet or a dust cloud. It can also be bent by gravity. And it is very narrow (directional).

In contrast, gravitational waves for instance allow broadcast type of transmissions and both gravity and neutrinos are much better in negotating any obstacles and deflections.

I have to wonder about the strong force and the weak force.

dimensionless said:

Bingo.

-Job- said:
There is research in the use of Quantum effects in communication channels to ensure security of transmitted data (by guaranteeing that the channel has not been tampered with for example).

Computation in general has a lot to gain from new discoveries in physics (Quantum computation being one such example).

I'm a bit skeptical of quantum computing, because it's so labile to environmental stimuli. I'm sure some people thought the same of MOSFETs before CMOS was developed, but it's hard to imagine a solution to extreme heat-dependent behavior as opposed to just adding a complementary transistor.Though quantum encryption seems a bit more promising, but I less a background in physics than in electrical engineering, so perhaps I have to look into it more.

dimensionless said:

Both are limited to subatomic distances. Not much good for real life communication.

Theoretically, you may be able (maybe!) to use them for electronics if and when you start manipulating single atoms (we are not too far away from that by now). But even that is doubtful, even single atoms are way, way too large for those forces. Anything else...I don't see how, even by a stretch of imagination.

Some of these ideas are getting waaay ahead of the current limits of technology, let alone fundamental science. We haven't even detected any sort of gravitational waves yet, let alone generated them.

This thread is therefore closed.

Any speculation here about technological developments needs to be grounded in current research and development activity. Saying "we can figure out how to do it someday" doesn't cut it.

1. What is the future form of physics behind future communication?

The future form of physics behind future communication is still unknown, as it is an area of ongoing research and development. However, some theories suggest that it may involve advancements in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and information theory.

2. How will this future form of physics impact communication technology?

The impact of this future form of physics on communication technology is also uncertain. It could lead to faster and more efficient communication methods, as well as the development of new technologies such as quantum communication and telepathic communication.

3. Can we predict when this future form of physics will be discovered?

It is difficult to predict when this future form of physics will be discovered, as it depends on the progress of scientific research and technological advancements. It may take several decades or even centuries before we fully understand and harness this new form of physics.

4. Will this future form of physics make current communication methods obsolete?

It is possible that this future form of physics could make some current communication methods obsolete, as it may offer more efficient and advanced alternatives. However, it is also likely that current methods will still have a place in certain applications and industries.

5. How can we prepare for the implications of this future form of physics on communication?

As this future form of physics is still in its early stages of development, it is difficult to prepare for its implications. However, staying updated on the latest research and advancements in the field and being open to new technologies and ideas can help us adapt and utilize this future form of physics in communication.