How long does it take for rotating platform to stop

In summary, the problem is to determine the time it takes for a rotating platform with an initial angular velocity of 8\pi to stop. The solution involves using the equation \omega=\omega_0+\alpha t, but since the final angular velocity is unknown, the solution manual uses \omega=\alpha t and solves for t. This is justified because the final angular velocity is zero when the platform stops rotating.
Alem2000
Hi my problem is I have a platform that is rotating and it [tex]\omega_0=8\pi[/tex] and the question is how long does it take it to stop. All my work up to here is correct and I have [tex]\sum\tau=I\alpha[/tex] where my [tex]\sum\tau=3.75Nm[/tex] and [tex]I=1.91kgm^2[/tex] and [tex]\alpha=1.96rad/s^2[/tex] so I wanted to use the [tex]\omega= \omega_0+\alpha t[/tex] equation but i don't know final angular velocity and time is my target variable. The solution manual used [tex]\omega=\alpha t[/tex] why is this justified? The [tex]\omega_0[/tex] does not equal zero so why did the solution manual just take it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alem2000 said:
Hi my problem is I have a platform that is rotating and it [tex]\omega_0=8\pi[/tex] and the question is how long does it take it to stop. ...
I wanted to use the [tex]\omega= \omega_0+\alpha t[/tex] equation but i don't know final angular velocity .

The final state is when the platform stops, it means does not rotate, is not the final angular velocity zero then? :rofl:

ehild

The final [itex]\omega[/itex] is zero. So you have
[tex]0=\omega_0+\alpha t[/tex]
[itex]\alpha[/itex] is actually negative (angular speed decreasing), and you know the initial angular speed, so solve the above equation for t and you're done.

1. How is the time it takes for a rotating platform to stop determined?

The time it takes for a rotating platform to stop is determined by the angular velocity and the moment of inertia of the platform. The angular velocity is the speed at which the platform is rotating, and the moment of inertia is a measure of the platform's resistance to change in its rotational motion. These two factors are used to calculate the rotational kinetic energy, which is then used to determine the time it takes for the platform to stop.

2. Does the size of the rotating platform affect the time it takes to stop?

Yes, the size of the rotating platform can affect the time it takes to stop. This is because the moment of inertia is directly proportional to the mass and the square of the distance from the axis of rotation. Therefore, a larger platform with a greater mass and distance from the axis of rotation will have a greater moment of inertia and take longer to stop.

3. How does friction play a role in the time it takes for a rotating platform to stop?

Friction can play a significant role in the time it takes for a rotating platform to stop. Friction acts as a force that opposes the motion of the platform, causing it to slow down and eventually stop. The amount of friction present can depend on factors such as the type of surface the platform is rotating on and the materials the platform is made of.

4. Can external forces affect the time it takes for a rotating platform to stop?

Yes, external forces such as air resistance or applied forces can affect the time it takes for a rotating platform to stop. These forces can either increase or decrease the rotational kinetic energy of the platform, thus affecting the time it takes for the platform to come to a complete stop.

5. How can the time it takes for a rotating platform to stop be decreased?

The time it takes for a rotating platform to stop can be decreased by reducing the angular velocity or by decreasing the moment of inertia. This can be achieved by decreasing the mass or size of the platform, or by using materials with a lower resistance to rotational motion. Additionally, reducing friction and minimizing external forces can also decrease the time it takes for the platform to stop.