Calculating Centripetal Force in The Roundup Amusement Ride

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force exerted on a rider in an amusement park ride called The Roundup. The ride consists of a rotating ring with a diameter of 16 m, which tilts into a vertical plane after acquiring sufficient speed. The rider's mass is 53.0 kg and the ring rotates once every 4.70 s. The conversation covers various equations and methods for calculating the force exerted on the rider at the top and bottom of the ride. The final answer for the force at the top is -140.86 N, while the force at the bottom is 237.68 N. The conversation also mentions using the formula F=mv^2/(r)-wg and the alternative formula a=
SherBear

Homework Statement

In an amusement park ride called The Roundup, passengers standinside a 16 m diameter rotating ring.After the ring has acquired sufficient speed, it tilts into avertical plane, as shown in Figure

knight_Figure_07_47.jpg

Part A

Suppose the ring rotates once every 4.70 s. If a rider's mass is 53.0 kg,with how much force does the ring push on her at the top of the ride?

There are several parts, but I want to do one piece at a time please

Homework Equations

I think V(top)=r w = 2 pie r/ T

T(top)=(m/r)(v^2 top)-mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried V(top)=r w = 2 pie r/ T
=(2 pie (16)/(2(4.70s)=10.69 m/s
then
T(top)=(m/r)(v^2 top)-mg
=(53/16)(10.69 m/s)^2-53(9.8 m/s^2)=
-140.86 N ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also to get the radius aka r, is it diameter/ 2 ? For my problem it would be 16/2=8=r?

Also for the mass it would be .53m instead of 53 kg?

With those two changes made my final answer is -3.2978N, is this correct?

SherBear said:

Homework Statement

In an amusement park ride called The Roundup, passengers standinside a 16 m diameter rotating ring.After the ring has acquired sufficient speed, it tilts into avertical plane, as shown in Figure

knight_Figure_07_47.jpg

Part A

Suppose the ring rotates once every 4.70 s. If a rider's mass is 53.0 kg,with how much force does the ring push on her at the top of the ride?

There are several parts, but I want to do one piece at a time please

Homework Equations

I think V(top)=r w = 2 pie r/ T

T(top)=(m/r)(v^2 top)-mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried V(top)=r w = 2 pie r/ T
=(2 pie (16)/(2(4.70s)=10.69 m/s
then
T(top)=(m/r)(v^2 top)-mg
=(53/16)(10.69 m/s)^2-53(9.8 m/s^2)=
-140.86 N ?

Have you heard of the other formula for centripetal acceleration?

a = 4∏2.R / T2

this enables you to calculate the acceleration from the period and radius [quantities you were given, without having to calculate the speed.

PeterO said:
Have you heard of the other formula for centripetal acceleration?

a = 4∏2.R / T2

this enables you to calculate the acceleration from the period and radius [quantities you were given, without having to calculate the speed.

Does that give you the T(top)? I have 14.30 for that equation
then do I plug it into the second equation i listed?

SherBear said:
Does that give you the T(top)? I have 14.30 for that equation
then do I plug it into the second equation i listed?

This device travels at constant speed - with a period of 4.70 seconds.
The centripetal acceleration is the same at all times/positions.

The only thing that changes is that at the top, the ring supplies force to supplement gravity in producing that acceleration, whereas at the bottom, the ring has to apply a force to overcome gravity as well as providing the acceleration.

At all other places, friction comes into play and it is just too hard to work out - so we are never asked.

PeterO said:
This device travels at constant speed - with a period of 4.70 seconds.
The centripetal acceleration is the same at all times/positions.

The only thing that changes is that at the top, the ring supplies force to supplement gravity in producing that acceleration, whereas at the bottom, the ring has to apply a force to overcome gravity as well as providing the acceleration.

At all other places, friction comes into play and it is just too hard to work out - so we are never asked.

The answer at the top and bottom are 14.30N?

SherBear said:
The answer at the top and bottom are 14.30N?

No,

That formula calculates acceleration - after substituting in Radius (R) and Period (T)

That's what I thought but I don't know what to do afterward.

Well i'll post B if anyone wants to help, for B Suppose the ring rotates once every 4.70s . If a rider's mass is 53.0kg , with how much force does the ring push on her at the bottom of the ride?

I got this now...i used 2 pie r / T to get the speed
then to get the force i used F=mv^2/(r)-wg and got 237.68 N which is correct
Thank you!

SherBear said:
That's what I thought but I don't know what to do afterward.

having found the acceleration is 14.3, the next step is to realize that acceleration is down. Gravity contributes enough force to create an acceleration of 9.8, but we need an extra 4.5 if we are to get the 14.3.

F = ma

F = 53 x 4.5 = 238.5 N

Centripetal acceleration can be given by a = v2/R , meaning the Centripetal force needed is F = mv2/R

The alternative formula is

a = 4∏2R / T2 meaning F = 4∏2Rm / T2

subtract wg from that force - as you did and the answer is there.

PeterO said:
having found the acceleration is 14.3, the next step is to realize that acceleration is down. Gravity contributes enough force to create an acceleration of 9.8, but we need an extra 4.5 if we are to get the 14.3.

F = ma

F = 53 x 4.5 = 238.5 N

Centripetal acceleration can be given by a = v2/R , meaning the Centripetal force needed is F = mv2/R

The alternative formula is

a = 4∏2R / T2 meaning F = 4∏2Rm / T2

subtract wg from that force - as you did and the answer is there.

Thank you PeterO for all your help and hard work!

1. What is Circular Motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point or axis.

2. What is Centripetal Force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in circular motion, directed towards the center of the circular path. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path.

3. How is Centripetal Force Calculated?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = m*v^2/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the Relationship between Centripetal Force and Circular Motion?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the mass of the object, the square of its velocity, and inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as any of these factors increase, the centripetal force also increases, keeping the object moving in a circular path.

5. How is Circular Motion Used in Real Life?

Circular motion is used in various real-life applications, such as amusement park rides, sports like ice skating and figure skating, and the motion of planets around the sun. It is also used in machinery, such as centrifuges and washing machines, to separate or mix substances based on their density.