Mass Confined to Rotating Hoop with Moment of Inertia I3

In summary, the problem involves a particle sliding in a circular tube that can rotate freely, and the goal is to derive the Hamiltonian and determine the cyclic coordinates and conserved quantities. By using Lagrangian equations and finding that the Lagrangian doesn't depend on phi, we can determine that Pphi is constant. From there, we can use Hamilton's equations of motion to determine the equations of motion for theta and phi.
tphysicsb
1. Homework Statement

A particle of mass can slide without friction on the inside of a small tube bent in a circle of radius r. The tube can rotate freely about the vertical axis, x3, and has a moment of inertia I3 about this axis.

Homework Equations

a) Derive the Hamiltonian for this system. I was able to determine the Hamiltonian to be.

b) List the cyclic coordinates and determine the conserved qty associated with each?

c) Write down Hamilton's equation of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I was able to determine the Hamiltonian to be.
H= (Pθ)^2/2mr^2 + (P∅)^2/(2(I3+mr^2(sinθ)^2)) +mgrcosθ +c

b)I was able to determine the Lagrangian to be
L= 1/2mr^2 (theta dot)^2 + 1/2 mr^2(phi dot)^2(sinθ)^2 +1/2I3 (phi dot)^2 -mgrcosθ -c

Since the Lagrangian does not explicitly depend on phi(∅) which i believe this just ends up telling me that the conjugate momentum P∅ is constant ?

c) I used (q dot) = ∂H/∂pi and -pi = ∂H/∂qi

and found

(theta dot) = pθ/ mr2 = 1
p dot theta = mgrsinθ - mr^2 (phi dot)^2 sinθcosθ

P∅ = constant

(phi dot) = Pθ/ (I3 + mr^2(sinθ) ^2

I want to determine if I am on the right track with part b and part c. Specifically is their anything else to be be determined from part b other then the conjugate momentum (P∅ = constant) ??

Also Now that i determined the equations of motion in partC. What it is the next step to determine the equations of motion.

Any guidance you may have would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

Cyclic coordinates just mean a coordinate upon which the lagrangian doesn't depend.

In c.) you determined the Hamilton equations of motion, so you don't need to go further.

1. What is the concept of mass confined to rotating hoop with moment of inertia I3?

Mass confined to rotating hoop with moment of inertia I3 is a physical system in which a point mass is attached to a hoop that is able to rotate around its axis. The moment of inertia I3 refers to the resistance of the hoop to changes in its rotational motion. This system is commonly used in physics and engineering to study rotational motion and conservation of angular momentum.

2. How is the moment of inertia I3 calculated for a rotating hoop?

The moment of inertia I3 for a rotating hoop can be calculated using the formula I3 = MR², where M is the mass of the hoop and R is the radius of the hoop. This formula assumes that the hoop is a thin, uniform ring with all of its mass concentrated at the same distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the significance of mass confined to rotating hoop with moment of inertia I3?

This system is significant because it allows for the study of rotational motion and conservation of angular momentum in a simplified and controlled manner. It also has practical applications in areas such as gyroscopes and flywheels, which use the principles of this system to maintain stability and store rotational energy.

4. How does the mass of the point mass affect the rotational motion in this system?

The mass of the point mass attached to the rotating hoop affects the rotational motion by changing the moment of inertia I3. A larger mass will result in a larger moment of inertia, which will require more torque to produce the same angular acceleration. This means that a larger mass will result in a slower rotational speed for the hoop.

5. Can the moment of inertia I3 be changed in this system?

Yes, the moment of inertia I3 can be changed in this system by altering the mass of the hoop or the radius of the hoop. Increasing the mass or radius will increase the moment of inertia, while decreasing the mass or radius will decrease the moment of inertia. This can also be achieved by changing the distribution of mass within the hoop.