Nanotechnology as a career option for Physics Major

In summary, pergradus thinks that it is possible for a BS student with knowledge in physics to work in a nanotech research company.
pergradus
Hi, I'm in my Junior year and I'm starting to think very seriously about what I want to do once I graduate, especially about whether I want to go to grad school or not.

I've had a bit of experience doing research (spent two summers doing academic research) and I don't really think it's my thing - I really think I'd rather go into industry. I'm really enjoying learning about QM, and I think it'd be interesting to have a career where I can apply it, so it seems like nanotechnology might be a good route to go.

I guess I'm wondering, besides taking a course in Solid State physics (which I plan to next fall) and the required courses in quantum mechanics (Modern Physics, Quantum Physics, Intro to Quantum Mechanics) are there any other ways to prepare myself if that's the career I decide to go with? Also, should I be looking at getting a PhD and then going into Industry, or does industry typically hire Undergrads who've finished their B.S. and then train them to do a certain job?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi pergradus, do keep in mind that research areas in the field of nanotechnology are very inter-disciplinary. There are number of companies which develop high-end research instruments like scanning electron microscopes, lithography tools, lasers etc. I don't know whether these companies hire fresh undergraduates, but it might be helpful if you find out what kind of research or engineering staff they hire. You can even try doing an internship at one of these companies while you are still an undergrad.

Last edited:
hi...i want to share my opinion through this forum...i think this forum is very beneficial for everyone to share thoughts and knowledge...i am a graduate in bachelor of science(physics)...and currently working in a failure analysis using microscopy.we also have lab service equipped with SEM-EDX..we use SEM to analyse and scan image of sample...and we also use SEM equipped with EDX (electron dispersive Xray) to scan sample from university labs and industry wafer and metal sample... thus we have lots of customers who deal with us , and through this our company can develop the nanotech, because our company is supported by the smart tech centre...so i think it is possible for a BS student who have knowledge in physics to survive and work in a nanotech research company... we can develop our knowledge, and then have a better career prospect in nanotech... :)

1. What is nanotechnology and how is it related to physics?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of matter on an extremely small scale, typically at the nanometer level (1 billionth of a meter). It involves the use of physics principles to understand and control the properties of materials at the nanoscale, which can lead to the development of new technologies and applications.

2. What career options are available in nanotechnology for physics majors?

There are a variety of career options available for physics majors in the field of nanotechnology. Some common roles include research scientists, engineers, and technicians in industries such as electronics, materials science, and biotechnology. Additionally, there are opportunities in academia, government agencies, and start-up companies.

3. What skills and knowledge are necessary for a career in nanotechnology?

To pursue a career in nanotechnology, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics, chemistry, and mathematics. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail. Knowledge of computer programming and data analysis is also valuable for conducting research and designing experiments in nanotechnology.

4. What are some current and potential applications of nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology has a wide range of applications in various industries. In electronics, it is used to develop smaller, faster, and more efficient devices. In medicine, it has the potential to revolutionize drug delivery systems and medical imaging techniques. Other areas of application include energy production, environmental remediation, and consumer products such as coatings and textiles.

5. What are some challenges and limitations of working in nanotechnology?

One of the main challenges of working in nanotechnology is the potential health and safety risks associated with handling nanoparticles. It is important to follow strict safety protocols and regulations to minimize exposure to these materials. Additionally, the high cost and complexity of nanofabrication techniques can be a limitation for some research projects. Finally, there are still many unknowns and uncertainties about the long-term effects of nanomaterials on both human health and the environment.