What are the differences between an object with mass 0 and mass > 0 ?

• Thread starter digi99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, using Newtonian physics, when an object has no mass it will move at the speed of light. However, if an object has pure energy (no mass) and is created, the added energy will cause it to move at the speed of light. However, as you approach 0 mass converted to energy, the speed of light will still be the same, but the Sin wave will just continue to approach a flat line.
digi99
Because for myself I had some misunderstandings about the behaviour of light.

What are the differences between an object (photon) with a mass 0 and an object with a mass > 0 ?

I know already that both are sensible for other speeds in a another direction e.g. the photons of light (vertical beam) has the same x speed in a train (light source in train) as a basket ball, except the speed of light in it's own direction is always c ...

Physics news on Phys.org
The differences are usually understood in terms of total energy.

Objects with no mass requires no energy to accelerate. Think about that for a second.

Flatland said:
Objects with no mass requires no energy to accelerate. Think about that for a second.
You can't use Newtonian reasoning here, and that is implicitly what you are doing.

Correct me if I am wrong here as I probably am.

But, once an object of pure energy and no mass, e.g. a photon, has been created, it will be moving at C no matter the amount of energy put into the creation of said photon. No matter if it's the entire universe converted to energy or a single proton converted to pure energy. The added energy is converted to acceleration which causes the Sin wave pattern to become more tightly packed. The added acceleration causes more Force to be behind it, but the speed cannot exceed C.

So as you approach 0 matter converted to energy the speed of C will continue to be C, but the Sin wave will just continue to approach a flatline still moving at C. Zeno's paradox prevents us from reaching 0 but we can infinitely cut the amount of mass converted to pure energy by 2.

For all intent and purpose you can say that 0 mass converted to energy will yield you a photon that is at a perfect flat line with no wave patterns. Thus the Newtonian physics will hold true.

Like I said, probably wrong, but that's how I understand it to work without delving into quantum mechanics and all that crazy stuff.

1. What is the definition of mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is a fundamental property of matter and is usually measured in kilograms (kg).

2. What is the significance of an object having a mass of 0?

An object with a mass of 0 means that it has no matter. This is theoretically impossible as all objects are made up of some form of matter. In physics, objects with a mass of 0 are used as idealized models for certain calculations and simulations.

3. How does an object with a mass of 0 differ from an object with a mass greater than 0?

An object with a mass of 0 has no matter, whereas an object with a mass greater than 0 has some amount of matter. This means that the object with a mass of 0 will have no weight and will not experience any gravitational forces.

4. Can an object with a mass of 0 have energy?

Yes, an object with a mass of 0 can still have energy. Energy and mass are related through Einstein's famous equation, E=mc². This means that even though an object may have no mass, it can still possess energy through other forms such as light or heat.

5. How does the concept of mass affect an object's behavior?

Mass is a fundamental property that affects an object's behavior in many ways. It determines how much force is needed to accelerate an object, how it interacts with other objects through gravitational forces, and its resistance to changes in motion.