Graph Theory Book Recommendations

In summary, the conversation is about finding an introductory book on graph theory that is not too technical. The person is looking for a recommendation for an easy to follow and engaging book, preferably with a "for dummies" style. One suggestion is "Introduction to Graph Theory" by Robin J Wilson, which is 160 pages and covers various aspects of graph theory. Another recommendation is "Deistel", which is available for free online and is not considered too technical. The conversation also touches on the speaker's interest in graph theory and their perception of it as an interesting subject.
srfriggen
I'm looking for an introductory book on graph theory. I'll be taking a course in graph theory this Spring so I don't want anything too technical, just something to get my feet wet.

any recommendations for an easy to follow engaging book? A "for dummies" if you will.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A fairly short one, 160pp, is "Introduction to Graph theory" by Robin J Wilson with a bit about numerous aspects. I am not saying there is not a shorter, better or more suitable one.

His dad was Prime Minister.

I don't know if this is for dummies, but I really enjoyed Deistel and it has the advantage of being available on the internet for free.

http://diestel-graph-theory.com/

I don't think it's particularly unfriendly and technical or anything. Graph theory is awesome. I typically don't think of it as too much of a technical subject, but then, I'm sort of a casual observer (plus, I have very strong intuition, so other people might find it more technical than I do).

1. What is Graph Theory?

Graph Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of graphs, which are structures that represent relationships between objects. It is used to model and analyze networks, such as social networks, transportation systems, and computer networks.

2. Why is Graph Theory important?

Graph Theory has a wide range of applications in various fields, including computer science, biology, and social sciences. It helps us understand the structure and behavior of complex systems, identify patterns and connections, and make predictions.

3. What are some popular books on Graph Theory?

Some popular books on Graph Theory include "Graph Theory: Modeling, Applications, and Algorithms" by Geir Agnarsson and Raymond Greenlaw, "Introduction to Graph Theory" by Douglas B. West, and "Graph Theory" by Reinhard Diestel.

4. What level of mathematical background is required to read a book on Graph Theory?

Most books on Graph Theory require a basic understanding of mathematical concepts such as sets, functions, and proofs. Some books may also require knowledge of linear algebra and calculus.

5. Are there any online resources for learning Graph Theory?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Graph Theory, including lecture notes, tutorials, and video lectures. Some popular resources include the "Introduction to Graph Theory" course on Coursera, the "Graph Theory" course on Khan Academy, and the "Graph Theory" playlist on the MathTheBeautiful YouTube channel.