What is the Relationship Between Intensity and Wattage?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between intensity and wattage in amplifiers. The question asks how to determine the appropriate amplifier power for a desired sound output, and the person is unsure how to come to a numerical conclusion. They mention the logarithmic relationship between intensity and wattage, and discuss the concept of decibels.
tadisc

Homework Statement

OK, so this is a very basic question but i am uncertain what the relationship is. I know its logarithmic, but i don't know how to draw a conclusion. Here is the question:
If you want an amplifier which will give a sound output which is twice as lod as your present 20 W amplifier, what amplifier power should you buy? What if you wanted a sound output four times as loud?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the relationship between Intensity and Wattage is logarithmic, but how do i draw a numeric conclusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are they looking for loudness or intensity?

The wattage of the amplifier is the maximum power it can supply to the signal.
The intensity a wave is the square of it's amplitude.
I suspect you are thinking of decibels.

If you double the amplitude, you get four times the intensity.

1. What is the difference between intensity and wattage?

The intensity of a light source refers to the amount of light energy that is emitted per unit area, while wattage is a measure of the total amount of power consumed by the light source. In simple terms, intensity is a measure of brightness, while wattage is a measure of energy consumption.

2. How are intensity and wattage related to each other?

Intensity and wattage are directly proportional to each other. This means that an increase in wattage will result in an increase in intensity, and vice versa. However, the relationship between the two is not linear, as the intensity also depends on other factors such as the distance from the light source.

3. Can intensity and wattage be used interchangeably?

No, intensity and wattage are two distinct measures and cannot be used interchangeably. They represent different aspects of a light source and are measured in different units (intensity in lumens per square meter and wattage in watts).

4. How is intensity and wattage measured?

Intensity is typically measured using a light meter, which measures the amount of light energy at a specific distance from the light source. Wattage, on the other hand, can be measured using a wattmeter, which measures the amount of power consumed by the light source.

5. Are there any safety considerations related to intensity and wattage?

Yes, both intensity and wattage should be considered when using artificial light sources. High intensities can cause eye damage, while high wattages can lead to overheating and fire hazards. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and use appropriate safety measures when dealing with intense or high wattage light sources.