Designing a Solar Oven for Denture Moulds

In summary, Mr. Mech suggests using a small 12 V compressor to power a filament, with the compressor and heat exchanger in the heated space. All of the work done to turn the compressor stays in the box in the form of heat. You also get adiabatic heating of the preheated air via compression. A heating coil can only have a efficiency of 1, A heat pump could go higher.
sharma026
Hello

I am designing a solar oven that will be used to form denture moulds.
My thoughts are designing an insulated box with a doubloe pane glass double creating a green house effect.

But i would like to incorporate solar panels and a wired heated filament.

My question is what is the best wire filament to heat a box to 150 degrees celcius
and how many solar panels will it take to power a filament for an hour.

thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't bother with the heating element and solar panels. The efficiency of the solar panels (~15-20%) will make the heating element overall much less efficient than piping sunlight straight into the box. Remember that sunlight is about 1000 W/m^2, so if you want more heat flux in the oven your best bet will be to increase the amount of light going into the box with a reflector. We made a solar oven in college using a parabolic reflector that could melt copper, so I think you can make one that gets hot enough for dental molds.

mr. MECH

Is it possible to use the solar panels to store energy into batteries for coil usage.
ex. if i leave the solar oven out for three days is it possible to use coils than?

also what materials did you use to insulate your chamber, your outer case and inner casing

sorry if I am stressing with these panels and coils my professor wants them

ty

sharma026 said:
Is it possible to use the solar panels to store energy into batteries for coil usage. ex. if i leave the solar oven out for three days is it possible to use coils than?

Sure it's possible, but I'm not sure there's a real advantage unless you want to use the over on a cloudy day.

sharma026 said:
also what materials did you use to insulate your chamber, your outer case and inner casing

Haha we used carbdoard, but for a long-term solution I would use some sort of ceramic.

sharma026 said:
sorry if I am stressing with these panels and coils my professor wants them

ty

Why? Use on a non-sunny day.

yes exactly for non-sunny days
i am so confused with solar panels. Whats the difference in series and parallel? If I am heating a resistant coil do i need more amps or voltage?
my main concern is if solar panels can generate enough energy to heat up a coil filament. and if so how many solar panels do i need to achieve this goal.
i am a newbie and in need of help
it would also be much appreciative if anyone has helpful data sheets on solar panels

thank you

A small DC air compressor would do a much better job of heating a space than a filament.
Use sunlight to preheat the air feeding the compressor, and pass the compressed air through a heat exchanger before leaving the insulated space.
This should let you double dip, and get a heat pump effect.
A passive solar oven might get hot enough, with a few changes.

so use solar panels to power the air compressor? how much energy do i need to operate one?

also what do you mean by dump dip creating a heat pump effect?

I think john is suggesting you use a compressor and pressure tank to store energy rather than solar panels and a battery. Problem is, the compressor would need to run on solar panels anyway and would also need to be used as a turbine, so my gut feel is that direct to battery and a heating coil would be more efficient overall.

Correct, a small 12 V compressor run off of the solar panels, with the compressor and heat exchanger in the heated space. All of the work done to turn the compressor stays in the box in the form of heat(Just like a coil). You also get adiabatic heating of the preheated air via compression. A heating coil can only have a efficiency of 1, A heat pump could go higher. This is an example of the type of compressor I am talking about, http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=NbTfTuXYGuGgsQLk-oirBw&ved=0CJcBEPMCMAI
You would also need a way of slowing down the hot compressed air to allow it's heat to stay in the heated space.

1. How do solar ovens work?

Solar ovens use the energy from the sun to heat and cook food. They work by trapping and concentrating sunlight into a small area, which creates heat. This heat is then used to cook the food inside the oven.

2. What materials are needed to build a solar oven for denture moulds?

The materials needed for a solar oven for denture moulds include a reflective surface, such as aluminum foil or a mirror, a heat-resistant container to hold the denture moulds, insulation to retain heat, and a clear cover to trap the sunlight.

3. How can I ensure that my solar oven reaches the necessary temperature for moulding dentures?

To ensure that your solar oven reaches the necessary temperature, it is important to use a reflective surface that can effectively concentrate sunlight, such as a parabolic shape. Additionally, you can insulate the oven with materials such as cardboard or Styrofoam to retain heat and use a clear cover to trap the sunlight.

4. Can a solar oven work on cloudy days?

Yes, a solar oven can still work on cloudy days, although it may not reach the same high temperatures as on a sunny day. However, it is important to note that the oven may take longer to heat up and cook the denture moulds.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a solar oven for denture moulds?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using a solar oven for denture moulds. It is important to use heat-resistant materials and protective gear when handling the oven, as it can reach high temperatures. It is also important to monitor the oven to avoid over-heating and potential fire hazards.