Basic Rundown on Current Quantum Gravity Research

In summary, Loop Quantum Gravity is a relatively new field of research that is still developing. There are several different research programs being pursued, including Causal Dynamical Triangulation, Group Field Theory, and Asymptotic Safe QG. It is unclear whether or not these programs are making significant progress, but it is clear that the field is still growing and changing rapidly.
Kevin_Axion
Can someone give me a rundown on current quantum gravity research namely:

Loop Quantum gravity

Causal Dynamical Triangulation

Group Field Theory

I had my attention on them in the past but I lost track of any progress that has been made (the last time I checked I think Rovelli wrote a paper on including fermions in spin foam models) or what problems they're currently facing.

Thanks!

EDIT: Excuse me for not looking but there is a post underneath mine that appears to be asking the exact same thing as me.

Physics news on Phys.org
No problem! You are asking a broader question including research programs like CDT and GFT (which you explicitly mention) and I would guess also Asymptotic Safe QG some kinds of emergent gravity----as well as Loop. The other thread was mainly asking about the recent developments in LQG.

marcus said:
No problem! You are asking a broader question including research programs like CDT and GFT (which you explicitly mention) and I would guess also Asymptotic Safe QG some kinds of emergent gravity----as well as Loop. The other thread was mainly asking about the recent developments in LQG.

Yea, I suppose the question is still valid for both of those research programs (I haven't heard a lot on Asymptotic Safety).

Kevin, did you glance at the lineup of papers at the Loops 2011 conference? That gives something of a panorama. Videos are available online for the main invited morning talks and slides PDF for the shorter parallel session afternoon talks.
http://www.iem.csic.es/loops11/

I'm not actively involved. Just an interested bystander. I don't know enough to give you an accurate summary overview. There are several separate approaches, advances on several fronts. No concise summary would do the QG situation justice.

I don't suggest you try to watch all the main videos and look at all the PDF slide files. Too much. Just scan down the list of titles and maybe sample one here and there that catches your attention. At least you get a taste of what the active topics are.

There is another QG conference that gives a panorama view. The Zurich *Quantum Theory and Gravitation*:
http://www.conferences.itp.phys.ethz.ch/doku.php?id=qg11:programme

The titles of all the talks are listed, with a link to the slides PDF for nearly all. Someone I think is very creative and not easy to predict is Mikhail Shaposhnikov. You see there his slide PDF.
I was just looking at a paper of his, connected with AsymSafe QG and a Higgs prediction:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3667790#post3667790

My feeling is that we are in a chaotic period, the QG is more wild and up for grabs than it was say in 2005. It is less of a game played by set rules than earlier.

Last edited:
marcus said:
Kevin, did you glance at the lineup of papers at the Loops 2011 conference? That gives something of a panorama. Videos are available online for the main invited morning talks and slides PDF for the shorter parallel session afternoon talks.
http://www.iem.csic.es/loops11/

I had a look at Rovelli's paper: Loop Quantum Gravity: The First Twenty-five years (http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1012/1012.4707v4.pdf )

I'll check out the talks.

Thanks!

EDIT: I can't really grasp the mathematical details being discussed so I think I'll settle for Rovelli's simple list in his paper.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It seeks to explain the fundamental nature of gravity at the quantum level, where it is believed to behave differently than at the macroscopic level.

2. What is the current research in quantum gravity?

Current research in quantum gravity focuses on developing theories and models that can successfully merge the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics. This includes studying concepts such as quantum spacetime, quantum fluctuations of space and time, and the role of gravity in the quantum world.

3. How is quantum gravity different from classical gravity?

Classical gravity, as described by Isaac Newton's theory of gravity, is based on the concept of continuous space and time. Quantum gravity, on the other hand, considers the discrete and fluctuating nature of space and time at the quantum level. It also takes into account the quantum properties of matter and how they interact with gravity.

4. What are some challenges in researching quantum gravity?

One of the main challenges in quantum gravity research is the lack of experimental evidence to test and validate theories. Another challenge is the difficulty in reconciling the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics, as they seem to contradict each other at certain levels. The extreme energies and conditions at which quantum gravity operates also make it difficult to study and understand.

5. How can quantum gravity research impact our understanding of the universe?

Quantum gravity has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe by providing a unified framework that can explain the fundamental forces and laws of nature. It can also shed light on the nature of spacetime and the origins of the universe, and potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as cosmology and particle physics.