How Do I Calculate the Required Kvar for a 22KW Motor?

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the appropriate Kvar to install for a 22KW motor. It is suggested to check the no load current of the motor and install a capacitor that can handle a maximum of 9 amps. It is also mentioned that the motor is three phase and a table of kVAR vs. current for power factor correction capacitors is needed. The final conclusion is that approximately 6 KVA is suitable for the motor.
ssana
Dear all,

I have one 22KW motor.
I want to know how much Kvar i need to install for it.
According to my information, i need to check no load current of motor (it is taking 10 ampere at no load), and than take 90% of no load current (90% of 10 ampere is 9 ampere), so install capacitor that can take maximum 9 ampere current (6 kvar capacitor takes 9 ampere current).
So 6 Kvar is suitable to install in 22KW motor.
Am i calculating in correct way?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't help with your question, but I was looking at your figure of 9A for 6kVAR. This implies a supply voltage of 667v. Perhaps I am not doing this right.

This is a 3 phase motor, is it? Maybe that 6kVAR is a set of capacitors drawing 2kVAR per phase? Seems an odd way to rate it, if it is, summing the phases. But the figure of 2kVAR at 9A would give a phase voltage of 220v which might be more likely.

So what is your phase voltage there?

Do you have a table of kVAR vs. current for power factor correction capacitors? If so, do the kVAR figures all turn out to be exact multiples of 3?

Dear NascentOxygen,
Using three phase formula,
Power = Voltage x Current x √3
Power = 380V x 9A x 1.732
Power = 5923 VA
OR
Power = 5.923 KVA
Approximately 6 KVA

Hope that this will helpful to you.

1. What is power factor calculation?

Power factor calculation is a method used to determine the efficiency of electrical systems. It measures the ratio of true power (measured in watts) to apparent power (measured in volt-amps) in an electrical circuit.

2. Why is power factor calculation important?

Power factor calculation is important because it helps to evaluate the performance of an electrical system. A lower power factor means that the system is less efficient, leading to higher energy costs and potential damage to equipment. By calculating the power factor, measures can be taken to improve the efficiency of the system.

3. How is power factor calculated?

Power factor is calculated by dividing the true power by the apparent power in an electrical circuit. This can be done using the formula: Power Factor = True Power (W) / Apparent Power (VA).

4. What is a good power factor?

A good power factor is typically considered to be above 0.9. This means that the system is operating at a high efficiency and is using the available energy effectively. A power factor below 0.9 may result in increased energy costs and potential issues with equipment.

5. How can power factor be improved?

Power factor can be improved by installing power factor correction devices, such as capacitors, which help to reduce the reactive power in the system. Other methods for improving power factor include using more efficient equipment and reducing unnecessary power usage.