Angular momentum operators for bosons

In summary, the operators that measure the spin components of bosons are the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients that couple together two representations of the rotation group. For massive bosons, the operators are 3x3 matrices, while for massless bosons they are also 3x3 but with the amplitude of the 0 component being forced to be 0. These operators are still referred to as the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients and they do not commute.
cygnet1
I understand how the Pauli matrices can operate on the quantum state of an electron to obtain measurements of its intrinsic spin along the x, y and z axes. I also understand that since these matrices do not commute, it is impossible to determine what all three components were before measurment.

My question is this: What are the corresponding operators that measure the spin components of bosons? For massive bosons (like the W and Z), I imagine these operators would be 3x3 matrices, since there would be three possible values of spin (-1, 0, +1). For massless bosons (like the photon and gluon?), the operators would be 2x2, since 0-spin is not possible. Do these operators have a name, and do they commute?

Thank you in advance for any replies to this question, and please correct any errors I might have made in posing my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
cygnet1, The general answer is that the matrices are the set of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients that couple together two representations of the rotation group. More specifically, spin 1 particles are vector particles, and the ways to couple two vectors A1 and A2 are quite familiar: A1·A2 forms spin 0, A1 x A2 forms spin 1, and spin 2 is the symmetric traceless tensor that's left over. :smile: Massless bosons work the same way: they're still vectors.

cygnet1 said:
For massive bosons (like the W and Z), I imagine these operators would be 3x3 matrices, since there would be three possible values of spin (-1, 0, +1).
Yes.
cygnet1 said:
For massless bosons (like the photon and gluon?), the operators would be 2x2, since 0-spin is not possible.
No, they're still 3x3, but in any allowed state, the amplitude of the 0 component (in the direction of the momentum) must vanish.

1. What are bosons?

Bosons are a type of elementary particle that follow the rules of Bose-Einstein statistics. They have integer spin and can occupy the same quantum state at the same time.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that depends on an object's mass, velocity, and distance from a fixed point.

3. How do angular momentum operators work for bosons?

Angular momentum operators for bosons are mathematical operators that represent the physical quantity of angular momentum for a system of bosons. They act on the wave function of the system to determine the angular momentum of the particles.

4. Can angular momentum operators be measured?

Yes, angular momentum operators can be measured experimentally. They are often measured in terms of the angular momentum quantum number, which can be determined through spectroscopy or other techniques.

5. What are some applications of angular momentum operators for bosons?

Angular momentum operators for bosons have many applications in the field of quantum mechanics. They are used to study the rotational motion of particles in systems such as atoms and molecules, and have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information processing.