How can I convert global rotation to local rotation for objects?

In summary, The speaker is asking for help in finding the correct formula to calculate the local rotation of objects, as they want to be able to rotate objects locally rather than globally. They have found a formula but do not understand how to use it. They also mention that the global rotation is in euler angles and are seeking assistance in converting the object's local angles to euler angles.
Fly7
Hi all, I don't know if this is the right section, but I really need to solve this problem. I've been searching for the correct formula for two days. OK, here's the picture:

ac2z6g.jpg

The global rotation of all objects (rot_x, rot_y, rot_z): red object (0.00, 45.00, 0.00), blue object (45.00, 0.00, 90.00) and green object (30.00, 35.26, 35.26).

I need to calculate the local rotation of the objects, so the local rotation of the green object should be (0.00, 45.00, 45.00). I want to be able to rotate objects locally, not globally. Here is one formula, but I don't understand how to use it:
Code:
[   1      0       0   ]
[   0    cos(a)  sin(a)] = Rx(a)
[   0   -sin(a)  cos(a)] 

[ cos(a)   0    -sin(a)]
[   0      1       0   ] = Ry(a)
[ sin(a)   0     cos(a)]

[ cos(a) sin(a)   0    ]
[-sin(a) cos(a)   0    ] = Rz(a)
[   0      0      1    ]

[URL="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6252223/adding-local-rotation-to-global-rotation"]source[/URL]
I hope someone can help me solve this because I'm newbie in math. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I've figured out that the global rotation is in euler angles (Z is parent, then X, then Y). Now, maybe someone can help me to convert object's local angles to euler angles. I hope that makes sense to someone. :smile:

1. What is global rotation to local?

Global rotation to local refers to the process of converting coordinates or data from a global reference frame to a local reference frame. This is often used in fields such as geography, cartography, and astronomy to accurately represent locations on Earth or in space.

2. Why is it important to use global rotation to local?

Using global rotation to local is important because it allows for more accurate and precise representations of data in a specific location. It also allows for easier comparisons between different locations and data sets.

3. How is global rotation to local calculated?

The calculation of global rotation to local involves using mathematical formulas and algorithms to transform the coordinates or data from the global reference frame to the local reference frame. This can vary depending on the specific application and reference frames being used.

4. What are some common reference frames used in global rotation to local?

Some common reference frames used in global rotation to local include the World Geodetic System (WGS), Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM), and Geocentric Cartesian coordinate systems. These reference frames are often used in mapping and navigation applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using global rotation to local?

While global rotation to local can provide more accurate representations of data, it is not without limitations. The accuracy of the transformation depends on the accuracy of the reference frames used and any errors in the calculation process. Additionally, global rotation to local may not be suitable for all types of data or applications.