Books on Wind Energy (offshore)

In summary, the conversation is about a person's research on offshore wind turbines for their MSc dissertation. They have a background in electrical engineering and are looking for books that provide in-depth analysis on aerodynamics, generators, power electronics, and the civil engineering aspect of offshore wind turbines. They are specifically interested in UK regulations and have found some helpful books from AWEA.
GnMvP
Hello,
I am doing research on on wind turbines and especially on offshore wind turbines for my MSc dissertation. My first degree is on electrical engineering so I have a basic knowledge on the matter I believe. I am looking for some books that can provide an in depth analysis on the aerodynamics, generators, power electronics etc. I have already found some books but they mainly refer to some basic concepts and configurations, what I want is for instance how 3rd harmonics affect the output signal etc. In addition to this I would like to know if there are books on the structure of the offshore wind turbines (civil engineering aspect), on which I have no grasp whatsoever.

(I am mostly interested in the UK regulations)

Any information will be much appreciated!

Regards.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
i don't know if these will help.

http://aweastore.summitmg.com/aweastore/dept.asp?dept_id=6000

i found AWEA's 'introduction to utility scale wind turbines' helpful start on electrical side,

perhaps there's a similar one on your subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for this. I actually have a couple of these books.

1. What is offshore wind energy and how is it different from onshore wind energy?

Offshore wind energy refers to the harvesting of wind power from wind turbines located in bodies of water, such as oceans and lakes. This is different from onshore wind energy, which involves wind turbines located on land. Offshore wind energy has the potential to generate more electricity due to stronger and more consistent wind patterns, but it also comes with higher installation and maintenance costs.

2. How do books on offshore wind energy help in understanding the technology and its benefits?

Books on offshore wind energy provide in-depth information about the technology used, the processes involved, and the benefits of harnessing wind energy from offshore locations. They also cover topics such as the environmental impacts, economic considerations, and policy implications of offshore wind energy, making them a valuable resource for gaining a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

3. Are there any specific books that focus on the design and construction of offshore wind turbines?

Yes, there are many books that specifically focus on the design and construction of offshore wind turbines. These books cover topics such as offshore wind farm layout, foundation design, installation methods, and maintenance procedures. They also provide case studies and real-world examples to help readers understand the practical aspects of offshore wind turbine design and construction.

4. Can books on offshore wind energy help in identifying potential locations for offshore wind farms?

Yes, books on offshore wind energy can provide valuable insights into the factors that should be considered when identifying potential locations for offshore wind farms. These factors include wind resource, water depth, seabed conditions, environmental impacts, and regulatory requirements. Some books also include maps and data analysis tools to assist in the site selection process.

5. How can books on offshore wind energy benefit professionals and researchers in the field?

Books on offshore wind energy serve as a valuable resource for professionals and researchers in the field by providing them with up-to-date information, case studies, and practical tools for their work. They also offer a platform for exchanging ideas and discussing the latest developments in offshore wind energy, making them an essential reference for those looking to stay informed and advance their knowledge in this rapidly growing industry.