Parametrize y = sin(x) with i^ j^ components

• Thread starter kgal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, the function y = sin(x) can be parametrized into component form (i,j) by letting x = t and using the vector form t\vec{i}+ sin(t)\vec{j}.
kgal
I am having a hard time understanding how to parametrize the function y = sin(x) into component form (i,j).

Physics news on Phys.org
kgal said:
I am having a hard time understanding how to parametrize the function y = sin(x) into component form (i,j).

Hey kgal and welcome to the forums.

Hint: let x = t.

Thanks,

is it r(t) = ti^ +sin(t)j^ ?

kgal said:
Thanks,

is it r(t) = ti^ +sin(t)j^ ?

That looks pretty good to me :)

As long as y is a function of t, y= f(t), there is the "trivial" parameterization, x= t, y= f(t) or, in vector terms [itex]t\vec{i}+ f(t)\vec{j}[/itex].

1. How do you parametrize y = sin(x) with i^ j^ components?

To parametrize y = sin(x) with i^ j^ components, you can use the following equation:
x = t
y = sin(t)
i^ component = cos(t)
j^ component = sin(t)
where t is the variable parameter.

2. What is the purpose of parametrizing y = sin(x) with i^ j^ components?

The purpose of parametrizing y = sin(x) with i^ j^ components is to express the relationship between x and y in terms of a single parameter, t. This allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the function.

3. Can you provide an example of parametrizing y = sin(x) with i^ j^ components?

One example of parametrizing y = sin(x) with i^ j^ components is:
x = t
y = sin(t)
i^ component = cos(t)
j^ component = sin(t)
where t is the variable parameter.

4. Is it possible to parametrize any function with i^ j^ components?

Yes, it is possible to parametrize any function with i^ j^ components. However, the specific equations used to parametrize the function may vary depending on the complexity of the function.

5. What are the benefits of using i^ j^ components in parametrization?

Using i^ j^ components in parametrization can help simplify and generalize the representation of a function. It can also make calculations and analysis easier and more efficient.