Any good resources that help you practice setting up an integral from scratch?

It's more like a problem-solving technique, so you have to be creative.In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving a rubber band with one end tied to a wall and the other end being pulled away at a constant speed. An ant crawling towards the wall at a relative speed is also introduced. The question is whether the ant will reach the wall and how long it will take. The person is looking for resources to practice this type of problem-solving, specifically using the concept of infinitesimals and setting up integrals. They mention that it is not typically found in standard calculus textbooks and are seeking the official name of this technique and where to find more practice examples.
joebevo
Take a look at the following problem:

"A rubber band with initial length L has one end tied to a wall. At t = 0, the other
end is pulled away from the wall at speed V (assume that the rubber band stretches
uniformly). At the same time, an ant located at the end not attached to the wall
begins to crawl toward the wall, with speed u relative to the band. Will the ant
reach the wall? If so, how much time will it take?"

I would like to know if there is any website or book that gives you practice with problems like these. It basically involves setting up an integral using the concept of infinitesimals ("dx"). At least, that is my take on it.

One doesn't come across this sort of stuff in a standard calculus textbook. What is this technique officially called and where can I get more practice using it? I would appreciate your responses.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do I know if I am setting up the integral correctly?

The best way to ensure that you are setting up the integral correctly is to check your work step by step. Make sure that you have properly identified the limits of integration, the correct function or equation to integrate, and the appropriate differential. You can also use online resources or ask a colleague for help if you are unsure.

2. Are there any specific tips or tricks for setting up integrals?

One helpful tip for setting up integrals is to carefully evaluate the problem and determine what type of integral it is (e.g. definite, indefinite, multiple, etc.). This will help guide your approach and ensure that you are setting up the integral correctly.

3. Can you recommend any online resources for practicing setting up integrals from scratch?

There are many online resources available for practicing setting up integrals. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Wolfram Alpha, and Symbolab. These websites offer step-by-step solutions and practice problems for a variety of integral types.

4. How can I improve my skills in setting up integrals?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your skills in setting up integrals. The more you practice, the more comfortable you will become with identifying the appropriate equations, limits, and differentials. It can also be helpful to review and understand the underlying concepts and techniques used in integration.

5. Are there any books or textbooks that you recommend for learning about setting up integrals?

Yes, there are many textbooks available that cover the topic of setting up integrals. Some popular options include "Calculus" by James Stewart, "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" by Richard Courant, and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. These books provide comprehensive explanations and practice problems for setting up integrals from scratch.