A Question About Weight and Pressure

In summary, the slanted walls exert an upward force. This causes the liquid to be spread over a larger area and the pressure at the bottom is spread over a larger area, but is not diminished as light intensity would be if spread over a larger area.
MBrain
Hello there :) First I'm sorry for my English it might be kinda bad !

I Have a little question about Weight and Pressure, Hope this is the right place.

1qh501.jpg

Here in this image we have 3 samples, A, B and C.

They are 3 different types of shapes fulled with a liquid (let's say water)

Talking about the physical pressure on the bottom of every shape :-

In Sample (A) we can see that Weight = Pressure.
In Sample (B) we can see that Weight < Pressure.
In Sample (C) we can see that Weight > Pressure.

Where did we get the extra pressure in the sample (B) ? It's like we create that green area from nowhere!
And where did the extra weight go in the sample (C) ? It's like we lost that orange area and it's nothing!

Hope I can fine the answer, Thank you :) !

Physics news on Phys.org
MBrain said:
In Sample (A) we can see that Weight = Pressure.
In Sample (B) we can see that Weight < Pressure.
In Sample (C) we can see that Weight > Pressure.
Where you say "weight", I assume you mean "weight/area". (Which would give you a pressure term.)
Where did we get the extra pressure in the sample (B) ? It's like we create that green area from nowhere.
The slanted walls exert a downward force.
And where did the extra weight go in the sample (C) ? It's like we lost that orange area, or it is nothing!
Here the slanted walls exert an upward force.

Weight and pressure are very different things. For starters, weight is a force and has units of Newtons. Pressure is a force per unit area and has units of N/m². Weight only acts downward toward the center of the Earth. Pressure acts in all directions simultaneously.

Pressure is not like light intensity (energy/m²), either. If you increase the area on the bottom, the pressure at the bottom is spread over a larger area but it is not thereby diminished as light intensity would be if spread over a larger area. Consider a balloon. If you blow it up to a pressure of 1.1 atmospheres, then pump it up to 1.2 the balloon gets larger and the pressure is 1.2 on every bit of the larger surface area.

Doc Al said:
Where you say "weight", I assume you mean "weight/area". (Which would give you a pressure term.)

The slanted walls exert a downward force.

Here the slanted walls exert an upward force.

And where that forces come from ?!

MBrain said:
And where that forces come from ?!
The pressure of the water against the containing walls. Which, as pointed out by Delphi51, acts the same in all directions.

Doc Al and Delphi51 Thank you for your helping.
but when I explained it that way to my teacher he said that its not exactly the right answer.
I think he is looking for a really advance answer that explains it all.

1. What is the relationship between weight and pressure?

The relationship between weight and pressure is that pressure is the force applied per unit area, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object. This means that the weight of an object can contribute to the overall pressure it exerts on a surface.

2. How does weight affect pressure on a surface?

As mentioned before, weight can contribute to the overall pressure exerted on a surface. The greater the weight of an object, the more force it will exert on the surface it is resting on, resulting in higher pressure.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different measurements. Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity on that object. Mass is typically measured in kilograms, while weight is typically measured in newtons.

4. How can weight and pressure be measured?

Weight can be measured using a scale or balance, while pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge or a manometer. Both weight and pressure have units of measurement, such as kilograms or pounds for weight, and pascals or atmospheres for pressure.

5. What are some real-world applications of weight and pressure?

Weight and pressure have numerous real-world applications, such as in engineering, construction, and transportation. Understanding the relationship between weight and pressure is crucial in designing structures and vehicles that can withstand heavy loads and pressures. They are also important in industries such as aviation and diving, where pressure differentials can have significant effects on the performance and safety of equipment and humans.