What is Brewster's Angle for Sunlight Reflecting on Water?

In summary, the conversation discussed the phenomenon of complete polarization of light when it is reflected off a surface at a certain angle, known as the Brewster's angle. The appropriate incident angle for complete polarization was calculated to be 53°, and the angle of refraction was found using Snell's Law. The angle between the reflected and refracted beams can be determined using a simple geometry sketch.
squirrelly

Homework Statement

As the sun rises over a still pond, an angle will be reached where its image seen on the water's surface(n=1.33) will be completely polarized in a plan parallel to the surface.

i) Compute the appropriate incident angle(that is the polarization or Brewster's angle)

ii)At what angle(from the normal) will the transmitted beam propagate through the water(that is, what is the angle of refraction)

iii)What is the angle between the reflected and refracted beams.

The Attempt at a Solution

i) n2cos(θo)-n1√[(1-(n21/n22)sin2o)]

(n22/n21)=tan2o)+1-(n21/n22)tan2o)

tan2o)={[(n22/n21-1]/[1-(n21/n22)]}=(n22/n21)

tan(θo)=(n2/n1)=(1.33/1)

θo=tan-1(1.33)=53°

Homework Statement

and that's as far as I could get. :/ I am pretty sure part(i) is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
squirrelly said:

Homework Statement

As the sun rises over a still pond, an angle will be reached where its image seen on the water's surface(n=1.33) will be completely polarized in a plan parallel to the surface.

i) Compute the appropriate incident angle(that is the polarization or Brewster's angle)

ii)At what angle(from the normal) will the transmitted beam propagate through the water(that is, what is the angle of refraction)

iii)What is the angle between the reflected and refracted beams.

The Attempt at a Solution

i) n2cos(θo)-n1√[(1-(n21/n22)sin2o)]

(n22/n21)=tan2o)+1-(n21/n22)tan2o)

tan2o)={[(n22/n21-1]/[1-(n21/n22)]}=(n22/n21)

tan(θo)=(n2/n1)=(1.33/1)

θo=tan-1(1.33)=53°

Homework Statement

and that's as far as I could get. :/ I'm pretty sure part(i) is right.
Hello squirrelly. Welcome to PF !

ii) Use Snell's Law to find the angle of refraction.

iii) Draw a sketch. Use geometry.

1. What is polarization by reflection?

Polarization by reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when light is reflected off a surface at a specific angle, resulting in the light becoming polarized. This means that the light waves are aligned in a particular direction rather than oscillating in all directions.

2. How does polarization by reflection occur?

When light is reflected off a non-metallic surface, such as glass or water, the reflected rays become partially polarized. This is because the reflected light waves are aligned parallel to the surface, causing the electric field to oscillate in a specific direction. This filtering of light waves creates polarized light.

3. Why is polarization by reflection important?

Polarization by reflection has a range of practical applications. It can be used to reduce glare and improve visibility, particularly for activities like driving or skiing. It is also used in photography, where polarizing filters can enhance the contrast and color saturation of images. Additionally, polarization by reflection is important in scientific research and technology, such as in the development of LCD displays.

4. Can polarization by reflection be controlled?

Yes, polarization by reflection can be controlled through the use of polarizing filters. These filters are made up of aligned molecules that only allow light waves of a specific direction to pass through. By adjusting the orientation of the filter, the amount of polarization can be manipulated, allowing for selective filtering of light.

5. What is the difference between polarization by reflection and refraction?

Polarization by reflection and refraction are both ways in which light can be polarized. However, the main difference is that polarization by reflection occurs when light is reflected off a surface, while polarization by refraction occurs when light passes through a transparent material, such as glass or water. Additionally, the polarization direction is different in each case, with reflection resulting in horizontally polarized light and refraction resulting in vertically polarized light.