Landau: Explaining the Definition of "Number of States with Energy

In summary, the "number of states with energy" in an interval is represented by the equation \frac{\mathrm{d}\Gamma(E)}{\mathrm{d}E} \mathrm{d}E and can be considered a continuous function. The energy probability distribution W(E) is different from w(E) and is given by the product of w(E) and the number of states in the energy interval. This is similar to the distinction between probability P and probability density function (PDF) p in statistics.
Stalafin
Question about Landau: Definition of "Number of states with energy" in an interval

Hey! I am currently reading Landau's Statistical Physics Part 1, and in Paragraph 7 ("Entropy") I am struggling with a definition.

Right before Equation (7.1) he gives the "required number of states with energy between [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]E+\mathrm{d}E[/itex]" as:
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}\Gamma(E)}{\mathrm{d}E} \mathrm{d}E[/tex]

I don't understand this equation. Am I supposed to understand [itex]\Gamma(E)[/itex] as a continuous function, and therefore [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}\Gamma(E)}{\mathrm{d}E}[/itex] as a derivative?

Furthermore, how is the energy probability distribution
[tex]W(E) = \frac{\mathrm{d}\Gamma(E)}{\mathrm{d}E} w(E)[/tex]
different from [itex]w(E)[/itex]. Isn't [itex]w(E)[/itex] kind of a probability distribution by itself?

Physics news on Phys.org

For your first question, yes. For the enormous ensembles considered by stat mech (typically 10^23 particles or larger), the number of discrete states approaches infinity so their distribution may be considered continuous.

For the second question, what is w(E)? I don't have access to the text right now...

Landau considers that part for a quantum mechanical system. [itex]w_n = w(E_n)[/itex] is the distribution function for the system.

He gets there from the diagonal elements of the density matrix [itex]w_n = w_{nn}[/itex] (since the statistical distributions must be stationary), which can be expressed as functions of the energy levels alone (assuming we have a system in a coordinate system, such that it is at rest and apart from the energy the other integrals of motion don't factor in) [itex]w_n=w_(E_n)[/itex].

I think this is the usual distinction discussed in statistics between probability P and probability density function (PDF) p. Here W(E)dE is the probability of seeing the system in a state with energy between E and E+dE. It is given in terms of the product of the PDF w(E) and the number of states [itex]d\Gamma(E)[/itex] in that interval.

What is the definition of "number of states with energy" in Landau?

The "number of states with energy" is a concept in statistical mechanics that represents the number of ways a system can be arranged at a certain energy level. It is also known as the "density of states."

Why is the concept of "number of states with energy" important in statistical mechanics?

The "number of states with energy" is important because it helps us understand the distribution of energy in a system and how it affects the thermodynamic properties of the system. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a system at different energy levels.

How is the "number of states with energy" calculated?

The "number of states with energy" is calculated by considering the number of possible microstates of a system at a given energy level. This involves taking into account the number of particles, their positions, and their momenta. It can also be calculated by using mathematical equations and models.

What is the relationship between the "number of states with energy" and entropy?

The "number of states with energy" and entropy are closely related. As the number of states with energy increases, so does the entropy of the system. This means that a system with more possible arrangements at a certain energy level has a higher entropy and is more disordered.

How does the "number of states with energy" change with temperature?

The "number of states with energy" increases as the temperature of a system increases. This is because at higher temperatures, particles have more energy and thus more possible arrangements, leading to a larger number of states with energy. This relationship is described by Boltzmann's equation, which shows that the number of states with energy is proportional to the temperature.