Maximising water flow into an intake on a race boat

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the optimum radius and measurements for the lead into an intake on a racing jet boat, also known as the "spoon effect." The pressure of the intake affects the speed of the boat, and the weight and speed of the boat are also important factors to consider. The speaker is looking for feedback and is willing to provide more information on measurements.
NZJet
I've looked at lot of information on the net and have picked up a few things.

My query is how to work out the optimum radius and measurements for the lead into an intake on a racing jet boat?

We cruedly term it the 'spoon effect' where the water runs along the bottom of the boat and up into the intake. The more the intake pressure the faster you go!

From what i can tell this is the form drag effect (correct me if wrong).

I imagine the radius (distance) will change with the speed relative to the water as well. The weight of the baot will also have an effect. These are tunnel hulls so the weight on the water is minimal.

I'm assuming speed will also be important? Assume 80, 100 and 110 mph

Any feedback appreciated. Happy to answer any questions on measurements etc... Help this petrolhead please!

Engineering news on Phys.org
too hard?

What is the purpose of maximising water flow into an intake on a race boat?

The purpose of maximising water flow into an intake on a race boat is to increase the amount of water being taken in by the boat's engine for cooling and propulsion. This results in better performance and prevents overheating of the engine.

How does the design of the intake affect water flow?

The design of the intake plays a crucial role in maximising water flow. A well-designed intake will have a larger opening, smooth and curved surfaces, and minimal obstructions that allow for a greater volume of water to enter the intake at a faster rate.

What factors can impact water flow into the intake on a race boat?

There are several factors that can affect water flow into the intake, including the speed of the boat, the angle of the boat's hull, the water conditions (such as waves or rough water), the placement of the intake on the boat, and the condition of the intake itself.

How can water flow into the intake be maximised?

To maximise water flow into the intake, it is important to regularly clean and maintain the intake to prevent any build-up or blockages. The intake should also be positioned in a way that minimises obstructions and takes advantage of the boat's movement through the water. Additionally, experimenting with different designs and sizes of the intake can also help to maximise water flow.

Are there any potential downsides to maximising water flow into the intake?

While maximising water flow is important for performance, it is also important to consider the potential downsides. High water flow can create more drag on the boat, which can affect speed and fuel efficiency. Additionally, too much water flow can also cause cavitation and damage to the boat's engine. It is important to find a balance that allows for maximum performance without causing any negative effects.