Solving Steady Flow b/w Rotating Cylinders

In summary, the homework statement is that two long cylindrical objects rotate about their axes at different speeds. Pressure and velocity are determined using the Navier-Stokes equations.
Peeter

Homework Statement

Consider the steady flow between two long cylinders of radii [itex]R_1[/itex] and [itex]R_2[/itex], [itex]R_1 > R_1[/itex], rotating about their axes with angular velocities [itex]\Omega_1[/itex], [itex]\Omega_2[/itex]. Look for a solution of the form, where [itex]\hat{\boldsymbol{\phi}}[/itex] is a unit vector along the azimuthal direction:

[tex]\mathbf{u} = v(r) \hat{\boldsymbol{\phi}}[/tex]
[tex]p = p(r).[/tex]

Write out the Navier-Stokes equations and find differential equations for [itex]v(r)[/itex] and [itex]p(r)[/itex].

Fix the constants [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] from the boundary conditions. Determine the velocity [itex]v(r)[/itex] and pressure [itex]p(r)[/itex].

Homework Equations

Navier-Stokes equations for steady state incompressible flow are

[tex](\mathbf{u} \cdot \boldsymbol{\nabla}) \mathbf{u} = -\frac{1}{{\rho}} \boldsymbol{\nabla} p + \nu \boldsymbol{\nabla}^2 \mathbf{u}[/tex]
[tex]\boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot \mathbf{u} = 0.[/tex]

We'll have no-slip boundary value conditions on the surfaces of each cylinder, so

[tex]\begin{align}v(R_1) &= R_1 \Omega_1 \\ v(R_2) &= R_2 \Omega_2.\end{align}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Working in cylindrical coordinates where the gradient is

[tex]\boldsymbol{\nabla} = \hat{\mathbf{r}} \partial_r + \frac{\hat{\boldsymbol{\phi}}}{r} \partial_\phi.[/tex]

I find a pair of differential equations to solve

[tex]r^2 v'' + r v' - v = 0[/tex]
[tex]p' = \frac{\rho v^2}{r}[/tex]

solving these and applying the boundary value conditions I find

[tex]v(r) = \frac{1}{{R_2^2 - R_1^2}}\left(\left( R_2^2 \Omega_2 - R_1^2 \Omega_1\right) r+\frac{R_1^2 R_2^2}{r} (\Omega_1 -\Omega_2)\right)[/tex]
[tex]p(r) - p_0 = \frac{\rho }{(R_2^2 - R_1^2)^2} \left( \frac{1}{{2}} \left( R_2^2 \Omega_2 - R_1^2 \Omega_1\right)^2r^2 -\frac{R_1^4 R_2^4}{2 r^2} (\Omega_1 - \Omega_2)^2+ 2 \left( R_2^2 \Omega_2 - R_1^2 \Omega_1\right) R_1^4 R_2^4 (\Omega_1 - \Omega_2)^2 \ln r\right)[/tex]

That's almost the whole solution, but the part that I am unsure of is what can we use to determine the integration constant for the pressure (I've called it [itex]p_0[/itex] above)? Is there another boundary value constraint that I am missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello

I had a homework like this last semester. There were "two long cylinders" like this. However this didn't mean they are infinite. The tops and bottoms of the cylinders were closed and "long" was said to state that there was no radial velocities.

If you have the same issue, the tops and bottoms are closed, in a sectional area the volume rate is zero (as the volume between cylinders is constant). I used it as the third boundary condition.

I am not very good at advanced fluid dynamics but just wanted to share something I faced. I hope it helps.

It's not clear to me how one would relate the pressure and the volume flux. We do have the pressure show up in the traction vector. In a later part of the problem, this is used to calculate the torque on the fluid. For example, the torque per unit area on the fluid from the inner cylinder (where the normal is [itex] \hat{\mathbf{r}} [/itex] can be calculated by crossing [itex]r \hat{\mathbf{r}}[/itex] with:

[tex]\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot \hat{\mathbf{r}} = \mathbf{e}_i \sigma_{ij} \hat{\mathbf{r}} \cdot \mathbf{e}_i = -p \hat{\mathbf{r}} + \frac{\mu}{{R_2^2 - R_1^2}}\left( R_2^2 \Omega_2 - R_1^2 \Omega_1+\frac{R_1^2 R_2^2}{r^2} (\Omega_2 -\Omega_1)\right) \hat{\boldsymbol{\phi}}. [/tex]

but the pressure term drops out doing so, and we don't have to know what that integration constant was.

( I'm not going to attempt to derive the above here, but have my attempt at a complete solution to the entire problem here for reference: https://sites.google.com/site/peeterjoot2/math2012/couetteFlow.pdf?revision=1 )

Perhaps it's possible to utilize this strain relationship to fix the integration constant for the pressure? We've done similar things for two layer flow problems, matching components of the traction vector at the interface (for an interface with an open surface, that ends up incorporating the atmospheric pressure into the mix, but with things closed here we don't have any atmospheric pressure effecting things.)

However, if I was to match the traction vector with (something?) at the surfaces of the cylinder, it seems to me that there are not enough degrees of freedom, since I've got two surfaces, but only one integration constant.

1. What is steady flow between rotating cylinders?

Steady flow between rotating cylinders is a scientific concept that describes the movement of a fluid between two cylinders that are rotating at different speeds. This phenomenon is commonly used in experiments to study fluid dynamics and has many real-world applications, such as in turbomachinery design and ocean currents.

2. How is steady flow between rotating cylinders solved?

Steady flow between rotating cylinders is solved using mathematical equations that describe the velocity, pressure, and other properties of the fluid. These equations are derived from principles of fluid mechanics and can be solved using numerical methods or analytical solutions.

3. What factors affect steady flow between rotating cylinders?

The main factors that affect steady flow between rotating cylinders are the rotational speeds of the cylinders, the viscosity and density of the fluid, and the distance between the cylinders. Other factors such as the shape and surface roughness of the cylinders may also have an impact on the flow.

4. How is steady flow between rotating cylinders different from other types of flow?

Steady flow between rotating cylinders is different from other types of flow because it involves the rotation of the boundaries (i.e. the cylinders) rather than a change in pressure or gravity. This type of flow is also considered laminar, meaning the fluid particles move in smooth, parallel layers.

5. What are some practical applications of steady flow between rotating cylinders?

Steady flow between rotating cylinders has many practical applications, such as in the design of turbines, pumps, and fans. It is also used in the study of ocean currents and can help in the development of more efficient transportation methods, such as ships and submarines.