Inertia of body that is oriented at some angle from axis of rotation

Therefore, it is best to use equations and demonstrations to determine the dynamic behavior of the spring-disk assembly rather than relying on intuition or assumptions.In summary, the problem at hand is to model the dynamics of a system consisting of a DC motor, two disks attached by springs, and a servo horn. The main questions are how to determine the inertia of the disk and spring about the servo axis, and whether the body will naturally precess or not. One assumption is that the weight of the disk is large enough to cause elongation of the spring. The best way to solve this problem would be to use the Parallel Axis Theorem, which states that the moment of inertia can be found by using the moment of inertia about the center of mass
xeltius
1. Problem I am attempting to model the dynamics of the system shown in the attached image. I have a DC Motor with two disks attached to it via springs and something similar to a servo horn. I have two questions. The first is how to determine the inertia of the disk and the spring about the servo axis (we can call it z-z). The next is I do not know if the body will naturally want to precess or not. Intuitively, I want to think it will behave like an amusement park ride such that the disk rises, become parallel with the bottom face of the motor. However, just as all of our intuition about gyroscopes was wrong before we were shown equations and demonstrations, I admit that my own intuition about the dynamic behavior of the spring-disk assembly could be flawed.
2. Assumptions that we can make are that the weight of the disk large enough to cause elongation of the spring at a sufficient velocity (In other words, the spring is NOT too stiff)3. I have drawn a diagram as shown in the bottom third of my attached image. I have attempted to break the shape down into simple shapes and sum the inertias. I was unsuccessful with that method. The last dynamics course I took was an undergraduate class which followed a semester-long Statics course. We used the Hibbeler text in both cases. The issue with this text is that all of the examples have some arbitrary curve bounded by the x- and y-axes. In my case, my object is created by four lines, none of which are aligned with an axis that is orthogonal or parallel with the axis of rotation. I have looked into an inertia tensor. Essentially, my mindset is that instead of my mass being at an arbitrary orientation to a standard axis, I could consider my axis being arbitrary. Then, theoretically, the inertia calculation would not depend on any ``complex" geometry. However, I do not want to waste hours trying to teach myself about tensors and how to use them if that is not the correct way to solve the problem.

EDIT: All masses and springs are identical to one another, respectively.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to solve this problem would be to use the Parallel Axis Theorem. This theorem states that the moment of inertia of an arbitrary object about any axis can be found by using the moment of inertia about its center of mass and the distance between the two axes. In this case, the moment of inertia of the disk and spring about the servo axis (z-z) can be determined by first finding the moment of inertia about the center of mass and then adding the product of the mass of the disk and spring and the square of the distance between the z-z axis and the center of mass. You can also use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia of the disk and spring about any other axis. As for your second question, it is difficult to tell how the body will naturally want to precess without knowing more information about the system. Generally speaking, a gyroscope will naturally precess in the direction of the applied torque, but it is difficult to predict the behavior of your system without more information.

What is the definition of inertia?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to change its state of motion or rest. It is a fundamental property of matter and is often described as the tendency of an object to maintain its current velocity.

How is inertia related to an object's orientation?

The orientation of an object affects its inertia because the distribution of mass and shape of the object can impact its resistance to changes in motion. An object with a larger mass and a more spread out distribution of mass will have a greater inertia and be more difficult to change its orientation.

What is the relationship between inertia and an object's axis of rotation?

Inertia is directly related to an object's axis of rotation. The farther an object's mass is from its axis of rotation, the greater its inertia will be. This is because the mass located farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia, making it more difficult to change its rotational motion.

How does changing an object's orientation affect its inertia?

Changing an object's orientation can have a significant impact on its inertia. For example, if an object is rotated to have a larger moment of inertia, it will be more resistant to changes in its rotational motion. On the other hand, if an object is reoriented to have a smaller moment of inertia, it will be easier to change its rotational motion.

What are some real-world examples of inertia and orientation?

One example of inertia and orientation is a spinning top. The top's axis of rotation is perpendicular to its flat surface, making it difficult to change its orientation once it is spinning. Another example is a gymnast performing a backflip. The gymnast's body has a certain orientation that must be maintained in order to successfully complete the flip, and their inertia plays a role in maintaining this orientation.