Hey I was wondering why I got this problem wrong on magnetic fields

In summary, the electron and proton each travel around their respective circles in a uniform magnetic field, but the electron is negatively charged and the proton is positively charged, so the electron travels counter-clockwise around the smaller circle and the proton travels clockwise around the larger circle.
chrissy2860

Homework Statement

An electron and a proton each travel with equal speeds around circular orbits in the same uniform magnetic field ( I tried to attach a diagram...not sure if it worked but I've described it anyways). The field is into the page on the diagram. Because the electron is less massive than the proton and because the electron is negatively charged and the proton is positively charged:
a.)the electron travels clockwise around the smaller circle and the proton travels counter-clockwise around the larger circle.
b.)the electron travels counter-clockwise around the smaller circle and the proton travels clockwise around the larger circle.
c.)the electron travels clockwise around the larger circle and the proton travels counter-clockwise around the smaller circle.
d.)the electron travels counter-clockwise around the larger circle and the proton travels clockwise around the smaller circle.
e.) the electron travels counter-clockwise around the smaller circle and the proton travels counter-clockwise around the larger circle.

Homework Equations

Right hand Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I answered b because if you use right hand rule then the electron and proton are both going clockwise but the electron is negative so it switches directions and so the electron is going counter-clockwise and the proton is clockwise. He said that the answer is a but I don't understand why since the electron should have made it switch directions. I tried talking to him about it but he just confused me more.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For now, only consider the proton. The force on the proton is directed towards the centre of the circle, so the right-hand rule gives clockwise or counter-clockwise for the proton.

George Jones said:
For now, only consider the proton. The force on the proton is directed towards the centre of the circle, so the right-hand rule gives clockwise or counter-clockwise for the proton.

I think this is incorrect. If the B field is into the page, the proton will always travel counter-clockwise, and the electron always clockwise. Try drawing it out. (a) is the correct answer.

chrissy2860: Look at it this way. If the proton velocity is initially up, the force (vxB, using the right hand rule) is to the left. This will cause the path to curve to the left, which bends the path in a counterclockwise direction. If the velocity is initially down, the force is to the right, which bends the path to the right, which is still in a counterclockwise direction. So the proton always circles counterclockwise. For the electron, everything is reversed, so it always circles clockwise.

Last edited:
chrissy2860 said:

Homework Statement

An electron and a proton each travel with equal speeds around circular orbits in the same uniform magnetic field ( I tried to attach a diagram...not sure if it worked but I've described it anyways). The field is into the page on the diagram. Because the electron is less massive than the proton and because the electron is negatively charged and the proton is positively charged:
a.)the electron travels clockwise around the smaller circle and the proton travels counter-clockwise around the larger circle.
b.)the electron travels counter-clockwise around the smaller circle and the proton travels clockwise around the larger circle.
c.)the electron travels clockwise around the larger circle and the proton travels counter-clockwise around the smaller circle.
d.)the electron travels counter-clockwise around the larger circle and the proton travels clockwise around the smaller circle.
e.) the electron travels counter-clockwise around the smaller circle and the proton travels counter-clockwise around the larger circle.

Homework Equations

Right hand Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I answered b because if you use right hand rule then the electron and proton are both going clockwise but the electron is negative so it switches directions and so the electron is going counter-clockwise and the proton is clockwise. He said that the answer is a but I don't understand why since the electron should have made it switch directions. I tried talking to him about it but he just confused me more.

Right hand rule will show that if the Field is into the page, the proton will circle in an anti-clockwise direction.
Remember, the proton is not trying to create the field, it is being influenced by an already existing field.
Fingers in the direction of the field, thumb in the direction the proton is moving, "out of the palm" gives the direction of the induced force - and the direction to the centre of the circlular path the proton will follow.

George Jones said:
The force on the proton is directed towards the centre of the circle, so the right-hand rule gives clockwise or counter-clockwise for the proton.
phyzguy said:
I think this is incorrect.

Oops, I meant to end my sentence with "?", not "." I was trying to get chrissy2860 to come with up counter-clockwise for the proton on her own, and thus lead her to (a), i.e., I meant to write
The force on the proton is directed towards the centre of the circle, so the right-hand rule gives clockwise or counter-clockwise for the proton?
phyzguy said:
If the B field is into the page, the proton will always travel counter-clockwise

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnet or a moving electric charge. It is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of magnetic materials.

Why is it important to understand magnetic fields?

Understanding magnetic fields is important because they play a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives. They are used in a variety of technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. They also play a role in the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation.

What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the distance from the source of the field, the strength of the magnet or electric current, and the permeability of the material the field is passing through.

How can I calculate the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation B = μ0(I/2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the source of the field.

What are some real-life applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are used in electric motors, generators, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in medical technology, such as MRI machines, and in everyday items like refrigerator magnets and credit cards.