Difficult question - convergence of a series

In summary, the conversation is about trying to show that a series involving a variant of the harmonic series converges. The speaker has tried to prove that the sequence of partial sums is Cauchy, but is struggling with showing that sin n does not get arbitrarily close to 1 and that the series itself does not get arbitrarily close to 1. They have also considered using the power series expansion of sin n, but are unsure of where it leads. The other person suggests trying to find out how frequently sin n is greater than 1-e and using a bounding argument. However, it is mentioned that this particular series is an unsolved problem.
rachmaninoff
I am trying to show that the series

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}\sin{n})^n}{n}[/tex] converges (it's a variant of the harmonic series).

So far I got
1) The sequence of partial sums is monotone increasing
2)
[tex]\frac{1}{3}\leq\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}\sin{n}\leq1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{3^n}\leq(\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}\sin{n})^n\leq1^n[/tex]
[tex]0<(\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}\sin{n})^n\leq1[/tex]

Since
[tex]\sin{x}=1\Rightarrow{x}=\frac{\pi}{2}+2m\pi[/tex]
and [tex]\pi[/tex] is irrational
[tex]\sin{n}<1[/tex]
for all rational or integral n; thus

[tex]0<(\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}\sin{n})^n<1\ \forall{n}\in\mathbb{N}[/tex].

What I've been trying to do here is prove that the sequence of partial sums is Cauchy (edit: which is sufficient to show that it is bounded and the series converges):

[tex]\sum_{n=j}^{k}\frac{(\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}\sin{n})^n}{n}<\epsilon[/tex]

But I can't figure out how to show that [tex]\sin{n}[/tex] is not arbitrarily close to 1 at some point, and that
[tex](\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}\sin{n})^n[/tex]
is itself not arbitrarily close to 1; thus hindering attempts to make the sum vanish.

I also tried using the power series expansion of [tex]\sin{n}[/tex] (which converges everywhere):

[tex](\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}\sin{n})^n=(\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}(n-\frac{n^3}{3!}+\frac{n^5}{5!}-...))^n=(\frac{2}{3})^n+n(\frac{2}{3})^{n-1}(\frac{n}{3}-\frac{n^3}{3\cdot3!}+...)+...[/tex]
(assuming this is valid, I don't know where it leads)

So what's the trick?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, the problem you've identified is that you have a subsequence of the integers on which sin n converges to 1.

One thing you might try to do is to find out how frequently sin n is greater than 1 - e (e being small). If it's infrequent enough, you could prove that they don't contribute enough to make the sum diverge.

You might instead consider some special partial sums, like the partial sum of the terms up until the first time sin n > 1-e. Maybe you could prove directly that the partial sums converge.

You might do a transform on your series -- the one I see is grouping the terms in pairs, for instance, then no pair will contain two terms both close to 1, so a bounding argument might work on these.

Well, according to Mathworld, it is unknown whether that particular series converges or diverges. I don't know if you are aware of this or not, and I just wanted to let you know what you're up against.

Aha, an unsolved problem! Figures. :grumpy:

1. What is the definition of convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series refers to the behavior of the terms in a mathematical series as the number of terms approaches infinity. A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How is the convergence of a series determined?

The convergence of a series can be determined by using various tests, such as the ratio test, comparison test, or the root test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the terms in the series and determine whether they approach a finite value as the number of terms increases.

3. What happens if a series does not converge?

If a series does not converge, it is said to diverge. This means that the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. In some cases, the series may diverge to infinity or oscillate between different values.

4. Can a series converge to different values?

No, a series can only converge to one value. This value is often referred to as the limit of the series and is the value that the sum of its terms approaches as the number of terms increases. If a series converges to different values, it is not considered to be convergent.

5. Why is the convergence of a series important?

The convergence of a series is important in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to determine the behavior of infinite sequences and to make predictions about the values of these sequences. Additionally, the convergence of a series is used in various applications, such as calculating probabilities, estimating integrals, and solving differential equations.