Calculus of variations problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around the derivation of differential equations from the extremization of a functional in calculus of variations. The discussion touches on the use of arbitrary perturbations, the independence of the path taken, and the role of local gradients in the integrated function. The questioner is struggling with some specific problems and is seeking clarification on where they might be going wrong in their reasoning.
MadRocketSci2
I have a question about calculus of variations that is driving me absolutely nuts right now:

I have followed the standard derivation of differential equations from the extrimization of a functional S = ∫(F(x,dx/dt,t)dt)

By doing some manipulation involving an arbitrary perturbation to your function, you end up with the folowing differential equation which has to be zero

dF/dx - d/dt(dF/d(dx/dt)) = 0;

I can sort of follow this, but I want to be able to derive this from the local properties of the function being integrated.

If the path taken is independent of the interval over which the functional is integrated (and it better be!) then there should be a way to arrive at the differential equation from nothing but the local gradients in F.

I have been trying to do this, and have encountered no end of trouble. My current line of reasoning is as follows:

dS/dt = F; We want to extremize dS/dt at every point t in order to extremize S overall.

d (dS/dt) over a specific interval dt = 0;

d (dS/dt) = dF/dx*dx + dF/d(dx/dt) * d(dx/dt) = 0;

The task then is choosing d(dx/dt) over the interval such that d (dS/dt) = 0;

dx over the interval must be dx/dt*dt or some combination of the derivatives of x in time.

d(dx/dt) is the acceleration d^2x/dt^2 * dt;

divide the time interval out.

dF/dx * xdot = dF/dxdot * xdotdot;

The strange thing about this is that it works for some specific problems, but does not yield equivalent results in general. I am getting the same answers for the principle of least action and the brachistochrone problem that I should be getting. But in other more general problems, the hypothetically minimized functions are slightly off for some reason.

Also, I am getting mysterious sign changes in certain terms (such as in the brachistochrone problem derivation).

Does anyone know where I might be going wrong? Do you see what I am trying to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right at the start when you're considering dS/dt, this isn't valid because S isn't a function of time. Functions map numbers to numbers but S is a functional i.e. it maps functions to numbers. So basically, you can't differentiate S with respect to time as it doesn't depend on time (your integral should have limits!)

I hope this makes sense, I'm happy to explain further.

1. What is the basic concept of calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a mathematical technique used to find the optimal value of a function, known as the "extremum", from a set of possible functions. It involves finding the function that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity, such as an integral.

2. How is the calculus of variations different from traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with finding the maximum or minimum value of a function with respect to a single variable. The calculus of variations extends this concept to finding the optimal value of a function with respect to a function, rather than a single variable.

3. What are some real-world applications of calculus of variations?

Calculus of variations has applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other sciences. Some examples include finding the path of a particle that minimizes energy consumption, determining the shape of a bridge that can support the most weight, and optimizing control systems in engineering.

4. What are the main techniques used in solving calculus of variations problems?

The most common techniques used in solving calculus of variations problems include the Euler-Lagrange equation, the Hamiltonian formalism, and the Pontryagin maximum principle. These techniques involve setting up and solving differential equations to find the optimal function.

5. How is the calculus of variations related to optimization problems?

The calculus of variations can be seen as a type of optimization problem, where the goal is to find the optimal value of a function. However, it differs from traditional optimization problems as it involves finding the optimal function itself, rather than just its maximum or minimum value.